View Poll Results: Tmax400 (TMY-2) vs Tri-X Pro (320TXP), which SHEET FILM do you favor more?

Voters
68. You may not vote on this poll
  • Tmax400 (TMY-2)

34 50.00%
  • Tri-X Pro (320TXP)

34 50.00%
Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Poll: Tmax400 (TMY-2) vs Tri-X Pro (320TXP), which do you favor more?

Poll: Tmax400 (TMY-2) vs Tri-X Pro (320TXP), which do you favor more?

Mods please move if in the wrong place, thanks.

I was thinking about how Ilford has stated that one of the reasons that they don't produce Delta400 in sheet film is because the market would be low and it would most likely reduce the use of HP5+ and cause that to increase in price (unfavorably) because of the volume being split between the two films, so they decided to stick with HP5+ as their only 400 speed in sheet film, also not competing with TMY-2 I suspect.

This made me think about kodak, their sales volume for their large machine is low and they have stated they can't downsize. This made me wonder if they stopped producing 320TXP and only produced TMY-2 if the cost of TMY-2 could be reduced by a higher volume. But this also made me wonder which one sells and is used MORE? Now I don't know if there is this data on the web, but I figured I would poll the LFF and see who uses which more. Now some may use both, but to keep the poll simple, all other variables asside, we will have to work on the honor system here.

Please only click the poll if you regularly still buy and use TMY-2 or 3200TXP NEW FROM THE STORE.

If you buy it used second hand, or have old stock from 10 years ago, please DO NOT submit to the poll, because that will throw off the data for those that will still be buying it, and this is a per-person poll not a volume of units bought poll.

I do wish the poll allowed for secondary questions like "if kodak discontinued one film but continued the other (with an announcement explaining that it was about volume and asking customers who enjoyed one film to stick with kodak and buy the other) how many would stick with the other film, or go to a different film." But the poll doesn't allow secondary questions, perhaps in a month I'll ask that question after the results are in for this poll.

Finally, this is about SHEET FILM not roll film use, so whether you get it from Keith Canham or buy from B&H Photo etc, we are only talking 4x5 and up sheet film usage.

So which do you FAVOR MORE in your ACTUAL REAL WORLD USAGE, not "well if TMY-2 were cheaper I would use it more but right now I use 320TXP more for my 400(ish) speed films.

This is my first poll, I hope I did this right.

Thanks!

(Edit: maybe kodak won't REDUCE the price of one but perhaps keep it steady for longer if volume is increased)
    Last edited by StoneNYC; 5-Mar-2015 at 10:57. Reason: Steady if volume is increased.

Re: Poll: Tmax400 (TMY-2) vs Tri-X Pro (320TXP), which do you favor more?

Stone - I voted TMY-2 because it's a better film for my pictures (and it is the film I use when I need the speed), but they are not really the same type of film. TXP is relatively unique in its curve shape among current medium/high speed films.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael R View Post
    Stone - I voted TMY-2 because it's a better film for my pictures (and it is the film I use when I need the speed), but they are not really the same type of film. TXP is relatively unique in its curve shape among current medium/high speed films.
    Thanks, yes I know they are different, many have argued a good photographer can get the right results they want from any film with technique. But this was purely about the usage per person right now, I'll see what the results say in 30 days. Thanks for your input.

I would have to agree in the grand scheme of things the choice of film within a speed category is a relatively minor one, particularly in LF. There are things about TMY-2 which make it an easier film to work with under my conditions when I need a fast film, but I could certainly use TXP if I had to.

There's one thing about 320TXP that makes it unique among sheet films, namely the retouching layer on its base side. While physical retouching is almost never done today, that layer provides an immense benefit. Whether making contact prints in a frame, enlarging in a glass negative carrier or scanning on a flatbed, Newton's rings, a maddening problem, cannot form. Bliss!

I thought I was the only one using TXP anti-newton ring spacers

I'd be happy if tmy2 replaced 320txp and were priced like 320txp, but all hell would break loose because tri-x is a sacred film to many people and tradition and familiarity make it so.

tmy2 is more sensitive to changes in development and takes longer to rinse, but I like it.

What pray tell does it matter if one buys it new or not? There's a lot of un-shot film out there still well within the expiration date or kept well enough to be the same. Might as well use it, and save money too.

Maybe I shouldn't say this, but, now that I think about it, I have never bought new, fresh sheet film, since starting LF a few years ago. But all good things come to an end, and if I were to buy new film...I'd probably buy HP5+ before any Kodak offering (specifically speaking of fast film). I don't use fast film in LF enough to bother with the expense of overpriced Kodak products. That said, I generally prefer TXP to TMY. Having tried a dozen different developers with TMY, I still don't like it much.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Drew Wiley

Tri-who ?

I can't vote.

I use both for different reasons in equal amounts.

I have an 11 X 14 TMAX order in with Kieth.

The poll is tied and I bet it stays that way.

Kodak doesn't listen to anybody.
    Tin Can