Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions for Film Holder Carrying Bags

Suggestions for Film Holder Carrying Bags

I'm heading out to a desert climate and am concerned about walking around in the heat with my loaded film holders… Does anyone have any suggestions for bags that would work for carrying about 8-10 8x10 holders, ideally with a shoulder strap? I've seen some camera bags that might be boxy enough for this purpose, but I have a feeling there are some that aren't originally intended for camera equipment that might actually work better.

Suggestions greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    --

Michael Gaillard

Re: Suggestions for Film Holder Carrying Bags

Softside cooler bags.

Of course!! Thanks

Something like this looks about right: http://www.polarbearcoolers.com/prod...ers/PB120.html

Any experience with specific brands?
    --

Michael Gaillard

I bought this for 4X5, they also make 8X10, but I find the 4X5 size too hard to use, the holders are very difficult to remove. http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-3S-KangR...item2c97fc8d1e

From the same company at the same time I bought the 5X7. I find it works way better. http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-3S-KangR...item2c8e813869

I want to try this, but I am worried the advertised slots are too small for my RR 11x14 holders. http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-3S-KangR...item2edd0c6df5

I have not tried the 8X10 model.

But none of these are dust proof and even the 5X7 which I like could not hold the holders inside necessary zip lock bags.

The bags work for me to use on clean locations, primarily inside, in Chicago, which is obviously not the desert.

Ziplocks in a cooler is my suggestion.
    Tin Can

Les

These, Randy, look rather pedantic. My Ultra by arctic zone is not...and it cost me about 1/2 as much. I think I could squeeze 2 small kids into this thing :>). But, the credit goes to Ken.

Les

Quote Originally Posted by Leszek Vogt View Post
    These, Randy, look rather pedantic. My Ultra by arctic zone is not...and it cost me about 1/2 as much. I think I could squeeze 2 small kids into this thing :>). But, the credit goes to Ken.

Les
    Pedantic?

I didn't think my review was positive...

Coolers do work well.

I find tripods the biggest problem, unless you have an Ansel truck.
    Tin Can

The best stuff I have seen are the RPT fim holder bags designed and sold by photobackpacker.com. Thoughtfully designed. Cheers, DJ

Quote Originally Posted by N Dhananjay View Post
    The best stuff I have seen are the RPT fim holder bags designed and sold by photobackpacker.com. Thoughtfully designed. Cheers, DJ
    Those only hold 3 holders, offer no insulation from the heat, and don't have shoulder straps.

Actually they do have shoulder straps. They can be put into the cooler for protection from the heat. One set of 3 holders can be hung from the tripod when working. And they have little areas to scribble notes like film that has been loaded etc.

Quote Originally Posted by N Dhananjay View Post
    +1 They come in 4x5 too. Very compact. Not a lot of compression protection though. I put my film holders in a ziplock bag and then in the RPT holder.