Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Semi-Stand Development w/ Mod 54 Help

George Sheils

Re: Semi-Stand Development w/ Mod 54 Help

Couple of things.
    1. Make sure you process at 20 degrees C or 68 degrees Fahrenheit.
    2. I don't invert the tank at all. Just swirl very gently at the start, the Middle and again a few minutes near to the end.

Best of luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Zndrson View Post
    I'm intrigued by the idea that the ambient temp of the tank changes the temp of the water immediately surrounding it. I'm using very cold water while the tank is at room temp. That could be the culprit.
    I like to use distiller water to mix my chemicals and I keep the water jug in the same place as the rest of my chemicals that way everything is at room temp.
    Zak Baker
    zakbaker.photo

"Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter."
    Ansel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by George E. Sheils View Post
    Make sure you process at 20 degrees C or 68 degrees Fahrenheit.
    With stand development you don't have to be super accurate with the temp

Quote Originally Posted by George E. Sheils View Post
    I don't invert the tank at all. Just swirl very gently at the start, the Middle and again a few minutes near to the end.
    Yup no inversions foe me ether.
    Zak Baker
    zakbaker.photo

"Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter."
    Ansel Adams

Test negs are still drying, but wanted to go ahead and report results anyway.

This go round I pre-soaked for 1 minute with constant agitation. From there I kept the 1:100 dilution and agitated with inversion twice every 20 minutes for 60 minutes total. I also kept the water temp much closer to the ambient tank temperature.

I changed too many variables to be able to tell exactly what caused the streaking, but this test came out perfectly clean without any gradient or streaking. I won't be able to positively say that everything's resolved until I develop some more negatives, but this is promising.

Thanks to everyone for their feedback. Hopefully this helps someone down the road.

I may try another test myself in the following days and I will likely only change the agitation scheme, as that's for now the main factor in my working hypothesis. If I get round to it, I'll post back. Anyway, good to hear that the problem seems to be absent in this particular instance.

IMO. the presoak is not long enough, film is not yet "swollen" to the same degree of uniformity and then developer is introduced which justs continues to magnify the problem. Do away with any type of film support at the edges of the film or extend presoak beyond 4 minutes but would still advise against supporting the film from its edges

Cheers.

Real photographs are born wet !

www.PowerOfProcessTips.com

I did some more development sessions with inversions at the 20 minute mark, in several formats. For TMX (which is my most frequently used film) this works like a charm; I haven't seen any weird bromide drag or anything of the kind. With Delta 100, which I have used only once so far, I ended up with bullet proof negatives (Rodinal 1+100, 3 inversions at 20 minutes, semi-stand 60 minute development at ca. 15C). Beautiful nonetheless, but my scanner couldn't handle the density. Pan-F 50 works like a charm in the same process.

BTW: in my specific case, pre-soak doesn't appear to be the problem. Firstly, I pre-soak for about 3-5 minutes, which should be enough. Secondly, with the same pre-soak regime, the problem went away when switching from inversions at 30 minute intervals to 20 minute intervals. YMMV.