Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: LF ballhead sought- current offerings questions

LF ballhead sought- current offerings questions

I'm starting to rethink my resistance to ballheads for LF work, especially the ones that allow independent 2D tilting. What are current options? Does Arca Swiss make a ball head than can be tilted along just one axis at a time?

I know FLM has several models, but can't find much user feedback about those. Anyone using one of the FLM 'FT' models with success? Their load ratings seem crazy, so not sure how to properly size one. I'm currently using a 5x7, about 10lbs max with my biggest lens, and no plans to format jump. Coming from a Ries double-tilt, a good panning base would also be really nice.

The Arca P0 looks interesting in that it's also a leveling base, even though it doesn't appear that you can isolate the tilt. Also, not sure how awkward the panning function and other knobs would be so close to the bottom of a field camera. They look simple, light-weight and low-profile, which is great. Anyone using one of these?

Drew Wiley

Re: LF ballhead sought- current offerings questions

Ballheads for LF? De-evolution, going backwards.

So you have not had much success with them then? And by all means, feel free to speak of actual experience instead of knee jerk biases.

Colin,
    For more information, reviews and videos on FLM ball heads, see the website: www.flmcanada.com
    There's plenty of information there.

There are plenty of threads here about ball heads vs. 3-way heads for LF use, and there are a few top-shelf ball heads that work very well for LF; they are worth a closer look.
    If you think you might be interested in getting a ball head for your 5x7, you should definitely try it for yourself to see if it works for you. Nobody else can tell you what's right for you and your working methods.

Hey, I'm just looking for folks with experience with any of these ballheads, or suggestions of ones they have used with success. If you think that's out of line or a hassle, just don't respond to the thread. I realize that only I can decide what is right for me, but user feedback is frequently helpful in making an informed decision, especially since I live in a remote rural area where I don't have access to big photo suppliers where I could actually try things out in person.

As I said, I'm just rethinking my own biases against ballheads at this point. Not looking for tips on deciding between the different types of heads. I currently use a Ries double-tilt which is great, but doesn't work as well on Gitzo. Not at all interested in three way head, I have used a G1570, which I didn't like very much.

Incidentally, some of these ballheads are rather new, I think the P0 was last updated in April '14, so there isn't much info about them in the archives. I think FLM recently updated some of their line as well, not sure. I know these myriad ballhead threads are a real annoyance, but the offerings do frequently change.
    Last edited by Colin Graham; 27-Feb-2015 at 12:56. Reason: more info

Hi Colin,

Ari sent me one of the FLM heads to review, which I'm still working on, and I spent a number of weeks with one. Arca used to have a B2 with separate controls for each axis, but I'm not familiar with their current line.

I did find the axis locking feature on the FLM head to be useful, especially with larger cameras at max extension. I used my 8x10 Kodak D2 with an extension rail. The main issue with a ball head and a very large camera is that when you unlock the head, you have to be holding the camera very securely with one hand, and you have to be able to move only in the direction needed. This can be really challenging with most ball heads. It's very important to make sure the camera is balanced properly on the head.

I compared the FLM to my standard ballhead, and Arca B1. Two things stand out. First, the main locking knob on the FLM has a very fine thread. That means it allows very precise and progressive locking of the head. You don't need to crank it all the way one way or the other. As such, there's less of a danger of loosening the head too much, allowing the camera to crash. Second, the locking axis is useful. My method was to point the camera down a bit in the direction of the notch in the tripod head. I'd then pan to my desired framing, and raise the camera to the desired height.

Overall, the FLM head impressed me. If I was in the market for a new ball head, I'd give them a very serious look, especially since Ari is such a helpful guy. The two features I mentioned are better than my admittedly older Arca.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Awesome, that's great info-thanks a bunch Peter! Looking forward to reading the review when you are done with it. Seriously leaning towards a CB48 or 58, but the 121lb rating on the 58mm ball seems like overkill for 5x7.

Agree with what Peter has said. I would add though the difference in movements; on the one hand, holding the camera and shifting it and, on the other hand, the extra leverage of a handle acting as a bit of a lever.
    The Flm works very well. In the studio, the leverage of the handles of my 3 way head are nice.

Colin, I would ignore the weight ratings. What 5x7 will you be using? I've not used a Ries head. What about it don't you like?
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Peter,

Ries heads are intended for use with the Ries legs design, with a head-mounting bolt that passes completely through the leg yoke, which has a knob that's accessible from below. Essentially, that's the only way to pan a Ries head without using some sort of supplemental panning base- by loosening this knob, panning, re-tightening. Works fine for the Ries and any surveyor-style tripod, and I really do like the setup very much for landscapes and such.

But I have a backup Gitzo tripod that's mostly for indoor use, since my surveyor tripod is usually dirty, wet, or just scuffs up the floors with the spikes. Usually I'll swap the Ries head out, but would prefer to use a head that's a better match for the Gitzo legs, since I with this arrangement I can only pan the double-tilt head by loosening and spinning the center column on the Gitzo.

Hope all that made sense. The 5x7 is a homemade one. Not lightweight, but not particularly heavy either.

Was the 58mm version what you were using for 8x10? Thanks again for the info.