Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are these used 4x5 film holders too worn?

Are these used 4x5 film holders too worn?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo(2).JPG 
Views:	188 
Size:	122.4 KB 
ID:	129979

See the worn grooves along the top and bottom of the leading edge? Is that enough to be a concern or is it not a problem? Without testing, can you tell me from your experience if these film holders may leak light from the wear? It looks the the camera back actually made grooves in the top in bottom where the holder was pushed-in over the years.

Wishing you great light!
    Paul

ps: hey Old-and-Feeble your inbox is full.
    Dallas Texas HABS / HAER / HALS Photography
    Photographer/Author Marfa Flights: Aerial Views of Big Bend Country (Texas A&M University Press)
    Petroleum Oil Pics

Re: Are these used 4x5 film holders too worn?

I have always used that wear spot as a guidepoint, so I would say they are too worn, given that there are plenty of holders out there in nearly mint condition for pennies. If I already had them, I'd use them until I discovered if they have light leaks from those grooves, or use them in the studio where it's dark.

Starting out fresh, I looked for the least worn holders I could get, and bought those. Nearly new wood holders can be had on Ebay for $3 each if you keep looking. I have around 50 mint holders that cost me less than some people pay for two or three new ones!
    Thanks, but I'd rather just watch:
    Large format: http://flickr.com/michaeldarnton
    Mostly 35mm: http://flickr.com/mdarnton
    You want digital, color, etc?: http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradofear

Avoid those. Clearly studio holders which were slammed into a camera day in day out. You're asking for trouble.
    Someone listed a bunch of nice holders here or apug earlier this week for something like $4 each.

That groove was put there on purpose for some reason, it seems to be only on one edge.
    and I can't see how even if they were used 24/7 /356 a groove that sized would wear in.

Unless they're free, I agree with vinny, avoid.

For fun, you could blacken some PC-7 with Testor's enamel, fill the grooves and dress down any excess (take the flaps off the holders for first.) It seems like an awful lot of work though.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

It's wear, not intention. You see that type of wear very commonly on Grafmatics, which I think wedding photogs probably used to death in various Graphics, slamming them in and out in a hurry. The corner that goes in first gets the worst beating. With a proper view camera, some care and a bail, it won't happen.
    Thanks, but I'd rather just watch:
    Large format: http://flickr.com/michaeldarnton
    Mostly 35mm: http://flickr.com/mdarnton
    You want digital, color, etc?: http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradofear

I would use those film holders until they actually proved to leak light. Those wear areas receive no direct light when the film holder is in the camera. Most of my film holders have binary coded notches on the flap so the holder can be identified if it does leak.

I've never seen any asymmetric wear like that, at least not on recent "international" holders like these. If they wear out, they do so on the entire bottom end, and not to that extent either - the flaps or slides break first. If it is wear, it must have been caused by some particular camera not common in Europe, with some abrasive protrusion on the right upper edge only.

Thanks to all for your most helpful information.

Wishing you great light!
    Paul
    Dallas Texas HABS / HAER / HALS Photography
    Photographer/Author Marfa Flights: Aerial Views of Big Bend Country (Texas A&M University Press)
    Petroleum Oil Pics

Paul,

I'd test one. Load it with paper, insert it into your camera and then expose it to sunlight, flashlight, etc. from all directions. If it doesn't leak, you're probably good to go.

That said, I'd likely fill the grooves and use them, that is, if the rest of the holders are in good shape. Black (dark grey) MarineTex works wonderfully for plastic holders and is sandable/paintable.

Best,

Doremus