Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Format?

Re: Best Format?

There's really no reason to buy new equipment for large format film. It can limit your options, and it can cost a heck of a lot of mula.

Like new is nice. But no need for new.

4x5 is easily the most readily available new off the shelf, but availability for even 4x5 is a pale shadow of what it used to be.

Most 4x5 camera models that can be purchased new have to be special ordered, with some delay in delivery. If you restrict yourself to those few models usually available from stock, you're just placing a substantial handicap on yourself.

If it's film holders, how often do you anticipate being in the sort of emergency where you need to buy more new holders RIGHT NOW?

Sure, 4x5 B&W film is still fairly widely available off the shelf, especially if you like FP4 Plus and HP5 Plus (which are fine films, so no slight intended there - HP5 Plus is my standard for sheet film). That helps, since it's something one buys repeatedly.

But in general, these days LF is likely to be most rewarding if you don't mind planning ahead and waiting a bit to get what you really want.

I agree with the plain consensus – the best for "new" is 4x5.

But setting aside practical considerations, the best for my eye would be 11x14.

I could make contact prints from this format/aspect ratio for the rest of my days and be happy.

I wouldn’t even feel the burden of getting the gear up-and-down my local mountains, not even as I entered my golden years with failing hips, knees, and back.

LF photography isn't always a rational pursuit...

Looks like 4x5 and 8x10 are getting more votes.

More information on my situation would include: these will be contact prints and the equipment is for a business. Therefore, used equipment is not desirable for depreciation purposes. I need to have a solid book value of the assets and used stuff isn't very good for that.

Thanks to everyone who replied.

Octogenarian

Although the OP is a fellow Dallas resident, I don't believe we have met.

As far as which format to choose, been there , done that.

Here is my conclusion: if you are used to shooting the 35mm aspect ratio, you will probably find the long rectangular 5x7 aspect ratio more comfortable to use.

If you are coming from a square format camera, such as a Hasseblad, the 4x5 aspect ratio will feel more familiar.

To answer your question; after facing the same problem, I settled on a 5x7 camera with a 4x5 reducing back.

Longer bellows, not much additional weight. That way, I can enjoy the benefits of both formats.

Film is slowly disappearing. Prices are increasing. However, used LF equipment is increasing, and prices are dropping.

So, collect good used equipment, and stock up on film at the best price you can manage. That goes for all formats.

2 Bit Hack

Quote Originally Posted by Heroique View Post
    LF photography isn't always a rational pursuit...
    Quote of the day!
    Regards

Marty

Quote Originally Posted by Jmarmck View Post
    Quote of the day!
    +1
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Quote Originally Posted by ibuprofen View Post

More information on my situation would include: these will be contact prints and the equipment is for a business. Therefore, used equipment is not desirable for depreciation purposes. I need to have a solid book value of the assets and used stuff isn't very good for that.

Why go to all that trouble to contact print 4x5?

Even with my little digital Fujifilm X100s I have my prints made at 8x10 unless someone in the family requests 4x6 or 5x7 prints.

The older I get the more I like larger prints. I guess it's my weakening eyesight.

Quote Originally Posted by ibuprofen View Post

You might still come out ahead financially with used equipment. I let my accountant handle this kind of stuff but this is my understanding.
    depreciation for tax purposes is based on your cost of the asset. So it doesn't matter whether the asset was bought new or used. You still use the same time period to depreciate it. Determining the class life and recovery period for different types of assets is discussed in IRS Publication 946, How to Depreciate Property.

If you purchase used equipment, the previous owner's "placed in service date" does not apply to you, that is, it has no bearing on how long you may depreciate the asset. What matters is when you purchased it and placed into service. That is your placed in service date for depreciation purposes.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

5X7 can be contacted or enlarged. Or scanned. Used lenses are relatively cheap and plentiful. Holders easily available and so is film. You can always put a 4X5 back on the camera, or roll film. I'd use 5X7. But I wouldn't give up my Hasselblad or Fuji 6X9 or my 8X10.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6837.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	53.9 KB 
ID:	129944