Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Packard shutter #8 with dual pistons - need help on adjusting and clean etc.

Packard shutter #8 with dual pistons - need help on adjusting and clean etc.

I just bought this decent condition. The leafs seem loose while in closed position...am afraid it would leak light.

I did remove the felt and cleaned some rust spots with bit oil (maybe not so good idea) on the back side. Am thinking to unscrew front cover to open this up so I could tighten pivots and clean any rust. Is there any precautions doing this? Are there any risks that pieces from inside might fall apart like fine clock work ? Also, any suggestions on how to keep leafs nice and tight w/o gaps? Large size Packard is hard to find, so don't want mess it up.

Packardshutter dot com guy did not like #8 and offered absolutely no help. Don't know what's wrong with #8 dual piston?! I wish there are more step by step how-to videos about Packard out there. Maybe I will once I know how to do this. Also, am thinking to spray some durable rustoleum enamel paint on the back side to prevent future rusts...is this ok idea?

Thank you ahead!

Re: Packard shutter #8 with dual pistons - need help on adjusting and clean etc.

Take it apart. It won't explode or anything and use steel wool or wire brush to clean up the rust. I don't think the leafs will work good if you shim them tight, because they need to be somewhat loose. Spray painting outside is fine.

Jon
    my black and white photos of the Mendocino Coast: jonshiu.zenfolio.com

Re: Packard shutter #8 with dual pistons - need help on adjusting and clean etc.

It relies on the free movement of the pistons to open under air pressure and to close due to simple gravity. They must be loose enough for both forms of movement in order to operate accurately and freely. If you tighten them, one or both could drag or seize, both bad results.

By all means, clean up the rust, but be very cautious about tightening the blades.

Packard is still in business, so why not contact them for details of both tightness and instructions?
    "One of the greatest necessities in America is to discover creative solitude." Carl Sandburg

Posting an image of what a #8 looks like with ruler measurements might allow others to identify a possible other name to this version that Packard shutter guy might know more commonly.

I've only owned one, it seemed pretty simple in design, I also didn't think it was the kind of thing that I would trust to not also use a cap on the lens before taking the image kind of almost TOO simple and sloppy, but functional for what it is.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    Posting an image of what a #8 looks like with ruler measurements might allow others to identify a possible other name to this version that Packard shutter guy might know more commonly.

I've only owned one, it seemed pretty simple in design, I also didn't think it was the kind of thing that I would trust to not also use a cap on the lens before taking the image kind of almost TOO simple and sloppy, but functional for what it is.

Good luck!

Took 2 photos from back to show the gap and leaks against light source. It is #8 with dual piston. 'Reno' didnt care #8 for some reasons to offer any suggestion. Will open it up next. Understand not to make leafs too tight, but need to be tight enough otherwise light leak is a no no.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0103.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	32.2 KB 
ID:	129837

Name:	IMG_0102.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	39.8 KB 
ID:	129836

2nd pic around 2 o'clock ...thats light from front

I feel like mine might be that loose, haven't actually used it yet.

If the blade of the actual app which are completely planed and flat? Could also be a bent blade?

The belly is opened up for the world to see below. What do you think?
    I dont see anything to adjust for leaf tension or anything. I guess it is what is ...expensive 'state-of-art' stamped sheet metal that floats like paper and rusts. That may be the beauty of the whole thing that any one could cut a piece with sheers. Maybe I ought be in business now for this...pre-orders anyone?

Name:	IMG_0105.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	38.1 KB 
ID:	129883

Name:	IMG_0107.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	40.7 KB 
ID:	129884

Anyone on how to proceed net to make it light proof ?

Light travels in a straight line.
    When a lens is mounted in front of the shutter, (especially when stopped down), light will be more directional (coming straight in) not sideways past the blades.
    I know it seems sloppy , but they actually do work.
    Real cameras are measured in inches...
    Not pixels.

www.photocollective.org

I had same thought, but there is thing called stray light. If you want reduced contrast it may be ok. Dont know if large size packard shutters are supposed to be like this. I dont see any causes from wear/tear on this one and it is not bent. Anyone who owns one with hole size >= 4" ...any experience?