Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: If you had no batteries, would you stay home?

Re: If you had no batteries, would you stay home?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Noel View Post
    My LF cameras do not require a battery. Also, I always carry a Weston Master II as a backup meter, no battery required. The only battery I require in the field is the one to start the car since they no longer come with a crank like my first one did.
    LOL, I agree. Motorcycles also eliminated the kickstarter some time ago and I really miss the backup plan.

I prefer stick shift cars as even a computer car can be push started if you have 9 volts left in the battery, just enough to get the fuel pump running and the computer to compute.
    Tin Can

I usually use a meter, but would give up shooting if I found my battery and the spare I always keep in the case died. For looong exposures I usually use the stopwatch in my phone, but again, I might open the lens a bit to get to a time I felt I could reliably count out. I don't bother with music, radio, or anything else when I'm shooting outdoors.
    The studio is different, strobes, hotlights, music, meters, radio slaves, maybe even get crazy and take a couple frames with a digital camera.......the whole 9 yards.
    Tracy Storer
    Mammoth Camera Company tm
    www.mammothcamera.com

As others have said, I do not use anything with a battery (except my car). I have a Gossen Pilot selenium-based meter (had it since late 60's and still accurate to 1/3 stop), and it is very light and small for those long-distance trips.

Les

Although my meter needs no battery, it's worth to get out there just for *nature* + memories.

Les

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    LOL, I agree. Motorcycles also eliminated the kickstarter some time ago and I really miss the backup plan...
    It was really tough to look cool at Sturgis when we couldn't kickstart our Harleys anymore.
    The Viewfinder is the Soul of the Camera

If you don't believe it, look into an 8x10 viewfinder!

Dan

I'd go out with my Rollie TLR 2.8 white face with a selenium meter, or my SWC/M and eyeball all the exposures like I did for 20 + years........................

My legs need only a handful of calories to carry me, my Hasselblad wouldn't know what to do with a battery. If all batteries ceased to exist/work, I'd be even more likely to get out and about.

It would be almost impossible for me to do without batteries. It would through me medically back 35 years! I need batteries for my insulin pump and my blood glucose meter. I could do without, but it would nearly kill me. I have been T1 diabetic for over 50 yrs now!

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy Storer View Post
    I usually use a meter, but would give up shooting if I found my battery and the spare I always keep in the case died. For looong exposures I usually use the stopwatch in my phone, but again, I might open the lens a bit to get to a time I felt I could reliably count out. I don't bother with music, radio, or anything else when I'm shooting outdoors.
    The studio is different, strobes, hotlights, music, meters, radio slaves, maybe even get crazy and take a couple frames with a digital camera.......the whole 9 yards.
    AGGG, I wuold NOT give up shooting is what I meant to type.
    Tracy Storer
    Mammoth Camera Company tm
    www.mammothcamera.com

Quote Originally Posted by AuditorOne View Post
    It was really tough to look cool at Sturgis when we couldn't kickstart our Harleys anymore.
    I was small and had many bikes I couldn't start, so I would park on a hill or get the bar crowd to push start me. Lightweight rider is much faster than a heavy one.
    Tin Can