Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: polarizing filter

Kevin Kolosky

polarizing filter

how much do you use a polarizing filter when you are out photographing landscapes.

Re: polarizing filter

Whenever it's necessary. Does that help?

Kevin Kolosky

"Does that help? "

No.

I'd like to hear more about the types of situations in which people consider them desirable or necessary to use.

Difficult to generalize on this, but. For my taste I don't use a polarizer very often. But when I do it is for situations where the subject is illuminated with a lot of diffuse light so the polarizer increases the color saturation by reducing the reflections from incoming blue and white light.

Of course when shooting through window glass or the surface of water it is useful for eliminating unwanted reflections at certain critical angles.

However a polarizer can be deadly on a blue sky by increasing the contrast to the point of even turning the sky black on film in the case of chromes - esp. kodachrome.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

Drew Wiley

Never. I don't like what they do to either colors or reflections. I do use them on the copystand, for cross-polarized lighting.

I do not recommend that one rely upon a blanket statement regarding the use of Polarizing filters. To know one is to use one often, and the best way to accomplish that is to have a digital camera with a polarizer on it so you see the immediate effect. You can use polarizers partially (not full turn) which enhances their usability in the field. In some cases they can improve color by eliminating reflections (in the sky for instance), in others, particularly where there is high contrast, some colors will go black. The effect is greatest at a 90 degree angle to the sun, much less if the sun is behind your back (front on, so to speak). In low light, I have found that I might like both images, with and without a polarizer. But is all depends. I focus on color characteristics of a scene whereas if you are using black and white film, you may find a yellow or orange filter more effective then using a polarizer. Experimentation, particularly with a digital camera at hand will help you visualize the final scene.

PDM

I don't use one that often. As Drew mentioned they kill reflections, which sometimes are the whole point of the shot. That said, they can be used judiciously as to darken the sky for dramatic effect - you don't have to turn it to maximum effect either, if it would be overkill. So, I probably only use a polarizer maybe 5% of the time.

I also should add that calculating the exposure compensation with the use of a polarizing filter is frought with hazards. You exposure loss will vary by perhaps as much as 2/3 of a stop depending on the amount of polarization. Again try it with a digital camera, turn the filter and watch how the exposure changes. Having said that, you might find that you need to modify the exposure somewhat when using polarizers full bore due to an overall darkening of the scene (elimination of reflections can cause water or skies to turn dark, even black. I have found that these filters are challenging to use consistently well, and I now default to viewing the scene on a digital screen before releasing the LF shutter, and calculating the effect and the exposure accordingly. Good luck.

PDM

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin J. Kolosky View Post
    I'd like to hear more about the types of situations in which people consider them desirable or necessary to use.
    If you're out in early sunlight, dew can glitter on shiny leaves, near and far, in the most distracting way, at least for this photographer in a very moist region.

Polarizer to the rescue.

Of course, using a polarizer has more than one consequence – robbing you of light, slowing your shutter speed, darkening the sky, changing colors, etc. I think someone, long ago in a far-away land, once said that photography is a bundle of compromises. Maybe he had a polarizer in mind.

Me, I always have a polarizer in my pack. I'd feel naked without it. However, I've used it for only a small (make that a very small) percentage of my landscape shots.

Kevin Kolosky

I find it very interesting what Ken Lee has to say about them. On his website he says this:

"When shooting in Black and White, many people have been taught to use a Red or an Orange filter, to darken the sky and clear the haze. Sometimes, this can be the ideal solution, but rarely. Why ? Because red and orange filters not only remove blue light from the sky: they also darken the green light in vegetation.

Unless you want a vivid look with ink-black skies, it's better to use a polarizer - and perhaps a weaker filter. With a polarizer, you can control the amount of darkening, while maintaining a normal balance of colors. It's great for color photography for that reason. If you need even more richness in the clouds, then reach for a medium yellow filter, or a light orange filter and place it on top of the polarizer. That's how this image was made (on 8x10 film). Note the tones in the grass and the trees: the yellow filter has actually enhanced the details. If you really want to go all the way, then a red filter, or a red filter + polarizer, will give you the strongest results. "

And the photograph he uses to illustrate his point is gorgeous!