Thread: Short lens on Calumet C1

Short lens on Calumet C1

After a ten year hiatus from shooting 8x10 I've started again. I picked up a C1 for a song but realize I may have made a bad decision because, in the past at least, I would shoot with a short lens to create a vignetted image. Usually a 125mm or 135mm lens. Worked fine on the Zone VI 8x10 field camera because I could adjust the front standard to lean back towards the film plane. No dice with the Calumet. I've been looking for a recessed lensboard but I'm thinking that probably won't work to get the lens close enough to the film.

Anyone have any solutions to working with the Calumet and short lenses? Sure wish I hadn't dumped my previous system...
    Steve Williams
    Scooter in the Sticks

Re: Short lens on Calumet C1

C1's are inexpensive but don't work well with wide angle lenses. The bed/rail likes to poke you in the gut. If you are looking for an inexpensive 8x10 and don't mind weight then I would sell the C1 and look for a Toyo 8x10 monorail camera.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Williams_812 View Post
    After a ten year hiatus from shooting 8x10 I've started again. I picked up a C1 for a song but realize I may have made a bad decision because, in the past at least, I would shoot with a short lens to create a vignetted image. Usually a 125mm or 135mm lens. Worked fine on the Zone VI 8x10 field camera because I could adjust the front standard to lean back towards the film plane. No dice with the Calumet. I've been looking for a recessed lensboard but I'm thinking that probably won't work to get the lens close enough to the film.

Anyone have any solutions to working with the Calumet and short lenses? Sure wish I hadn't dumped my previous system...
    I had one of the eBay custom lens board makers make me a 3 inch recessed board. There are 2 always advertising. One in Chicago and one in Michigan. I have used both guys. I met the Chicago guy and now just drop in for pickup.

Both are very inexpensive and both will make darn near anything.
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Gales View Post
    C1's are inexpensive but don't work well with wide angle lenses. The bed/rail likes to poke you in the gut. If you are looking for an inexpensive 8x10 and don't mind weight then I would sell the C1 and look for a Toyo 8x10 monorail camera.
    Alan,

I can cope with the bad/rail being in the way if I can figure out how to get the lens close enough to the film plane. With the 135mm lens I want to use I would need a recessed lensboard three inches deep. And then it might get in the way of the lens view. I think I'm snookered and if I really want to shoot wide I'll have to get a different camera. I'll think about the Toyo.
    Steve Williams
    Scooter in the Sticks

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    I had one of the eBay custom lens board makers make me a 3 inch recessed board. There are 2 always advertising. One in Chicago and one in Michigan. I have used both guys. I met the Chicago guy and now just drop in for pickup.

Both are very inexpensive and both will make darn near anything.
    Randy,

I sent the eBay guy in Chicago a note about a recessed lens board and am awaiting a reply. Even with a 210mm lens I'll need a recessed board on the C-1. What was I thinking...
    Steve Williams
    Scooter in the Sticks

I don't have the camera, but I can read the instructions. They say you can put a 4-3/8" lens on with a flat board, and as short as 65mm with a pair of stacked recessed boards. Looking at the folded camera, a 150 looks like a cinch, and I can't even imagine an 8x10 camera that wouldn't take a 201mm. It sounds like either something is wrong with your camera, or with the way you're using it. Does your camera even fold up like it's supposed to?
    Thanks, but I'd rather just watch:
    Large format: http://flickr.com/michaeldarnton
    Mostly 35mm: http://flickr.com/mdarnton
    You want digital, color, etc?: http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradofear

Bill Kostelec

I use a C-1 easily with a 254, have used a 165 and it was tight but still worked. Have you shoved your rail all the way to the front? My 165 is a Wollensak ex wide and it is on a flat board. I get at least an inch and a half of front rise with it.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by blueribbontea View Post
    I use a C-1 easily with a 254, have used a 165 and it was tight but still worked. Have you shoved your rail all the way to the front? My 165 is a Wollensak ex wide and it is on a flat board. I get at least an inch and a half of front rise with it.

Bill
    Good point some may miss, The sliding extension rail can be pushed forward 4.5" and then the standards are as close as the focus knobs move to. At that position it is 4-3/4" from GG to front of flat lensboard. My 3" recessed board changes that to 1-3/4".

Obviously there are no movements possible. I never shoot that way and just checked this on the camera. What lens could work like that, with the 8x10 back? Sure 4x5 back could be used...

Since some think C1's are junk, why not make a special model as it would be easy to cut part off the rear extension for a wide angle model. I could do it in about 10 minutes with a hacksaw and if you had a spare extension with the sliding rail it would be reversible in minutes also.
    Tin Can