Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: New film from Begger! BERGGER Pancro 400

Re: New film from Begger! BERGGER Pancro 400

You are of course right, John. Part of me wonders why I'm trying so hard to make this film work for me when HP5+ and FP4 are so rock solid. I guess it's just that I know those films so well now and feel it's a good time to experiment with something else to see what it might add to the toolbox. I love Bergger's paper, especially semi-gloss warmtone, so like to think buying their film too would help assure the company's survival. Regardless, if the film is inconsistent and not 100% rock solid, I'm out.

Bergger have replied to an email and asked for the batch number from the box, so I'll see what happens. Will be make or break for the continued experiment.

EDIT: They did reply and I’m happy with the outcome, see post later in the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by John Layton View Post
    Just gotta say this...that we work way too hard for our images to put up with this!

Back in 2004, in the midst of having a great run with Fp4 souped in PMK - I decided to try Bergger 200, and highlights were so clipped that it turned me off to PMK entirely.

Well...I've been re-printing some of my old FP4/PMK negs recently - and I think I'll give PMK another try!

Apologies to Gordon H. for being so misplaced in dropping his wonderful formula when the actual culprit was in plain sight!
    Last edited by Tim V; 29-Apr-2019 at 01:37.

I was hesitant with my post...knowing how difficult it can be for any film company these days to keep us supplied so we can keep doing what we love - and I do have respect for anyone who attempts to step up to the plate for us.

But at the end of the day...after I've shouldered a 40lb pack on my 64+ year old frame for hours on end to capture something that can be so fleeting - I simply need to know that my film is good - period...and that my coming up short in some way is entirely on me - and not the result of something suddenly coming out of the blue that I cannot predict nor control.

Amen to that.

Tim, here are two test shots I did with Panchro. I think that the Jobo and the dilution shortens the time considerably.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pancro 1-001-mod.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	57.5 KB 
ID:	190662 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Notre Dame - white stairs-001-mod-3.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	82.8 KB 
ID:	190663

Thanks Docw.

If you haven’t mentioned already, what times and temps etc did you use with the Jobo?
    I do like the tones of this film! Thanks for sharing.

T
    Quote Originally Posted by docw View Post
    Tim, here are two test shots I did with Panchro. I think that the Jobo and the dilution shortens the time considerably.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pancro 1-001-mod.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	57.5 KB 
ID:	190662 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Notre Dame - white stairs-001-mod-3.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	82.8 KB 
ID:	190663

I have had a series of very good communications with Bergger and am very happy with the outcome. This is the response of a good company and going forward I hope to be a loyal buyer of their film as well as paper.

As I've said before, I couldn't do without their warmtone semi-gloss CB paper. Talking to others who have used Pancro and experimented to find their own methods of using it, they absolutely love it and the results speak for themselves.

Thanks to Bergger and hopfully I can post some successes and contribute good first hand experience with it and Pyrocat soon.

I'd love to hear about any useful information or resolution to the problem before I shoot my 25 8x10 sheets, if there is more you can share. I tried contacting someone from Bergger a while back when I had the trouble with 5x7 and had no response.

I am not a big fan of HP5. Maybe it's me, but everything I've shot with it in any format looks dull to me. It's probably me since so many other people love the stuff. I love their FP4, but I often need to shoot ISO 400 with indoor natural light. There's always Arista EDU, I've been able to tweet some nice tones out of it and Pyro at 1:2:100.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim V View Post
    I have had a series of very good communications with Bergger and am very happy with the outcome. This is the response of a good company and going forward I hope to be a loyal buyer of their film as well as paper.

As I've said before, I couldn't do without their warmtone semi-gloss CB paper. Talking to others who have used Pancro and experimented to find their own methods of using it, they absolutely love it and the results speak for themselves.

Thanks to Bergger and hopfully I can post some successes and contribute good first hand experience with it and Pyrocat soon.
    Last edited by David Aimone; 29-Apr-2019 at 07:47. Reason: Added info
    David Aimone Photography
    Critiques always welcome...

Tim, I have not shot much all winter and as I look at my notes and data from last year, I might have made a slight error in my reporting on this in another thread. The towel photo in my previous post in this thread was developed for 10'30", I think

However, the cemetery stones photo was exposed according to my final test data which is as follows:

Normal development = 9'15" with and EI of 100.
    N+1 = 12' with an EI of 100
    N+2 = 17' with an EI of 125
    N-1 = 7'45" with an EI of 80
    N-2 = 6'15" with an EI of 80

The developer was a homebrew D76 1:1 and it was processed in a CPP2 at 20C/68F with a speed of 50 RPM.

I am going to start more extensive shooting with this film (in 4x5 and 8x10) very shortly. It has been a long cold winter!

Thanks DocW.
    T