Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: New film from Begger! BERGGER Pancro 400

Re: New film from Begger! BERGGER Pancro 400

I posted a second Dr5 developed image for comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by David Aimone View Post
    Ok, I have some problems to report with Pancro 400. I shot a box of 4x5" no problem. Recently, I purchased a box of 25 5x7" film and it appears about 6-7 within the batch were bad. There seems to be some kind of emulsion banding along the vertical dimension.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/5fwitvgwt...gBl94Sapa?dl=0

What do you think?
    David Aimone Photography
    Critiques always welcome...

Quote Originally Posted by profvandegraf View Post
    Thanks, I rated the film at 320iso, processed at Dodge-Chrome Imaging, dip and dunk machine 8.5 minutes (i think, will have to check my notes), Ilford chemistry I believe.
    I specifically asked what developer they use and it is Ilford DD.

Ok, I have some problems to report with Pancro 400. I shot a box of 4x5" no problem. Recently, I purchased a box of 25 5x7" film and it appears about 6-7 within the batch were bad. There seems to be some kind of emulsion banding along the vertical dimension.

The first part of the box was shot and developed by me in Pyrocat MC, no problem. Then, I sent the last 12 sheets, all shot on the same day with the same camera and lens, to Dr5 to try their positive development. They developed 5 of the 12 and reported the problem of banding on the images, with varying intensity. They shipped those sheets back, along with the 7 undeveloped sheets. So, I developed those seven and 2 have the obvious banding, the other five don't.

After discussing lots of theories with the people at Dr5, we are guessing bad emulsion on some of the sheets in this box. Pretty much have ruled out the development processes, film holders, lens/camera and anything else in the shooting process. It could also be some sort of x-ray patterning, though that would have to have been through the USPS, and only about half of the 12 sheets show it.

What's going on? I feel I should ask Bergger for a replacement box and try again.

Not posting the images here directly (they are nudes) but here is the dropbox folder. 6 of the ones I developed with pyrocat are there, and I just scanned one of the Dr5 images. So, the Dr5 image is labeled as such; the #4 Pyro one is the one with banding. The banding is more obvious on the Dr5 due to the enhanced qualities of the positive process.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/5fwitvgwt...gBl94Sapa?dl=0

What do you think?

I would guess xray damage but I’m curious to hear others opinions...

I just bought 100 sheets of this stuff in 8x10 too :/

I just shot a box of the 4x5 Pancro 400 and didn't have any banding thankfully. That banding looks a lot like scanner banding that I've seen before - but I assume you have seen it in the negatives and that's not the issue?

btw - I processed my Pancro 400 shot with XTOL non diluted in a jobo for 10 mins and also with stand development with Rodinal at 1:100 for 50 mins. Haven't printed or scanned yet, but the ones with stand development are looking very good.

Hello,

I use it in 4x5 and 8x10 since the beginning, never had problems other missmanipulation from me... I've done a lot of portraits with it, some examples on my flickr, developped manually with Berspeed chemistry ; https://www.flickr.com/photos/mathie...57651990872598

Do you presoak the film? Bergger specifically states that this film needs a presoak before the developer.
    I've been using the Pancro400 in 8X10 sheet format for several months and always do the recommended presoak, and have had no problems with emulsion oddities.

Yes, I presoak, and I assume Dr5 does also. There are streaks on the negative, for both my processing and theirs. But not ALL the negatives. But so far, ONLY negatives that were shipped to them and back. They didn't develop them all, sent some back undeveloped, and streaks showed up on SOME that I developed, not all. But they are there on all that they developed. So I'm thinking x-ray. I have like four more sheets here to expose and develop out of the box of 25, so we'll see what we get there. The first 8 shots out of the box that I developed before sending to Dr5 are fine.

Perhaps I should look for an x-ray proof film sleeve? Is there such a thing?

Quote Originally Posted by paulbarden View Post
    Do you presoak the film? Bergger specifically states that this film needs a presoak before the developer.
    I've been using the Pancro400 in 8X10 sheet format for several months and always do the recommended presoak, and have had no problems with emulsion oddities.
    David Aimone Photography

Reply deleted.

Started to reply in the wrong thread; starting to lose my mind.

Mick.

Perhaps I should look for an x-ray proof film sleeve? Is there such a thing?
    Lead foil bags are certainly available, but I have a strong suspicion that when the security guy can't see through something he just cranks up his x-rays until he can... I've never in recent years won the argument about having the film boxes hand inspected and explosive sniffed only, so I've taken the (hopeful) precaution of always carrying film - exposed or not - in hand luggage, and pulling it out along with the laptop.

That way I can lay it flat on the inspection trays clear of other stuff that might emit secondary effects. Normal film emulsions are generally insensitive to x-rays (even x-ray film; it's used in a container alongside a material which fluoresces in x-rays and just catches the light) and while I don't have figures, I haven't had issues yet.

Neil

I was actually thinking more about when shipping USPS or other. That's the only place where my film could have been exposed to x-ray scanning.

Quote Originally Posted by barnacle View Post
    Lead foil bags are certainly available, but I have a strong suspicion that when the security guy can't see through something he just cranks up his x-rays until he can... I've never in recent years won the argument about having the film boxes hand inspected and explosive sniffed only, so I've taken the (hopeful) precaution of always carrying film - exposed or not - in hand luggage, and pulling it out along with the laptop.

That way I can lay it flat on the inspection trays clear of other stuff that might emit secondary effects. Normal film emulsions are generally insensitive to x-rays (even x-ray film; it's used in a container alongside a material which fluoresces in x-rays and just catches the light) and while I don't have figures, I haven't had issues yet.

Neil
    David Aimone Photography