Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Whats the verdict on Adobe CC?

Re: Whats the verdict on Adobe CC?

Quote Originally Posted by jp View Post
    I used to use think highly of Gimp and still think well of it for the price and open source goodness. But photoshop CC runs circles around gimp for performance. And it handles 48 bit images. Haven't tried Affinity yet.
    I was joking about Gimp. It's a complete waste of time. FOR ME! ymmv
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by toyotadesigner View Post
    Gimp is 24/8bit only. If you want 48/16bit, you have Affinity and Photoline for small money.
    Also Gimp doesn't do CMYK, essential for prepress. They've made some headway, but they've been promising these features _forever_ and haven't been able to do it. N

Quote Originally Posted by toyotadesigner View Post
    A great competitor for PS is around the corner: Affinity Photo. The beta is already fantastic. Doesn't eat or waste RAM. No need for PS anymore. Oh, wait, the price is less than 50 US$ - and it is YOUR product, not connected to a cloud or credit card.

Another 48/16 bit image editor is PhotoLine. 64 bit app, Windows and OS X. Small, fast, stable, 59 Euro for the download. Runs with PS plug-ins. Doesn't waste or eat RAM.
    The reason I use PhotoShop is that I can select in a number of ways, paint the selection with a brush, etc., and apply a mask to an adjustment layer.

Do you know if these programs allow one to do this?

I went and looked at their respective sites but didn't see this info...

Thanks,

Lenny
    Last edited by Lenny Eiger; 22-Feb-2015 at 14:07. Reason: typo
    EigerStudios
    Museum Quality Drum Scanning and Printing

Can't help you there. I'm not interested in renting software. Just not going there. But my copy of Photoshop CS6 still works just fine.
    Same for me I really hope for an alternate to it!!!

Cheers Armin

I doubt anybody will make a better photo manipulator than PS, it's way deep and has 25 years head start.

Maybe next century.

Of course many of us don't really need it and lesser programs work fine for most.

Like Lenny says PS masking is in a class by itself.

Nobody has to buy or rent anything...
    Tin Can

The reason I use PhotoShop is that I can select in a number of ways, paint the selection with a brush, etc., and apply a mask to an adjustment layer.

Do you know if these programs allow one to do this?
    Yes, it does, and a lot more, with unlimited layers. Watch the demo videos:

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...o&spfreload=10

Quote Originally Posted by Moopheus View Post
    Also Gimp doesn't do CMYK, essential for prepress. They've made some headway, but they've been promising these features _forever_ and haven't been able to do it. N
    Personally I’ve never ever had the need to go into CMYK. I’m not an offset printer.

And the upcoming Gimp, which can be used already today, has 16-bit, 32-bit, 64-bit in integer or float format with gamma or linear. I can happily go from scan to decently "developed" final image in Gimp. Its curves tool is useful, and its 'unsharp mask' is mathematically correct. And their resampling algorithms are performed in linear color space, which wasn’t the case in Photoshop for a long time and lead to bad results.

That said, whenever I get the chance I prefer to sit at a Windows computer with Photoshop because the ACR workflow with 16-bit TIFFs from Vuescan is just so much more streamlined. In Gimp it always has to process the full res image and bake the changes in.

I’d rather invest money in hardware photo equipment than software, if I had any money. I’ll leave the software finesse to the ephemeral world of digital photography. Myself, I barely need curves, resample, sharpen and masks.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    I doubt anybody will make a better photo manipulator than PS, it's way deep and has 25 years head start.
    25 years is a long time for an application to remain relevant, but there's no guarantee that will go forever. After all corporate management can doom a product as quickly as technological change. See also: Quark XPress.

Quote Originally Posted by Moopheus View Post
    25 years is a long time for an application to remain relevant, but there's no guarantee that will go forever. After all corporate management can doom a product as quickly as technological change. See also: Quark XPress.
    I miss Pagemaker too. Quark was, best I could tell, for the newspaper business, which has been in a very long slide down. I'm sure it's sales dried right up at the start of the newspaper decline. Coreldraw is still around which I like but have little use for at the moment. Many *nix utilities and editor remain after at least 25 years with cult status, but they are free and impossible to kill.

Quote Originally Posted by photonsoup View Post
    Is CC actually stored on your machine?
    Yes

If so can you run the program without connection the net?
    Yes, but not forever.

Anything else I should know about?
    You will need a modern computer to run Photoshop CC, but it sounds like you've got that

I tried to open some RAW files from a newer Cannon camera and found that CS4 didn't have the right magic ingredients for that. Am I correct in the assumption that if I get a newer digital camera I will have to upgrade, or are there ways around this?
    Yes, that is how Adobe drives sales of new software. They only include support for new camera raw files, new lens correction profiles, and support for new software features (such as content-aware fill or camera shake correction) in the latest versions of the software. So if you upgrade your camera, or lenses, or just want the latest and greatest features, you have to upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    Does CC call home periodically to check if our subscription is current?
    Yes

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    And if it does, and we cannot connect are we screwed?
    You will need to be online when you install and license your software. If you have an annual membership, you’ll be asked to connect to the web to validate your software licenses every 30 days. However, you’ll be able to use products for 99 days even if you’re offline.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    I would not want to go back to earlier editions of PS or LR
    Me either. I can't believe the first poster is still on Lightroom 2 and CS4. Onward and upward!