Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Marking geo location

Marking geo location

I would like to know if I am at a location I would like to return to, is there an app or device which would record/mark my geo location? It would store the location and I would be able to return to the exact location in the future being guided by the device/app?

Thank you

Re: Marking geo location

Any smartphone likely records the location with every photo. My android phone, open the pic up in google afterwards, and it shows the location on the right. There's also an app "My Tracks" which will save GPS tracks and position for later review in google earth or for exercise stats. The old fashioned way to do that would be a standalone GPS device and record waypoints, but my experience is that they eat batteries faster than cell phones and it's sometimes tough to get the data off them with proprietary cables, etc...

Most reliable would be a gps unit. They've been around for 20+ years and aren't nearly as intuitive as the iphone but are designed for exactly what you want.

I am not sure that I understand the need for an electronic device to get you back to the location. Unless you are in a trackless desert or snow covered tundra. . . .

Having said that, the phone idea sure seems to be the answer. The image alone would be a help.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

2 Bit Hack

I do GPS mapping at work. They can be easy to hard depending on the mapping software. I have the smartphone that will record a position....and show it on google map in real time. I also have a Spot Gen3 unit. I simply hit a button and the point is sent to a website provided by Spot. I can download the data as KML file for later mapping.
    Regards

Marty

I use a first generation Spot messenger, and find that it works more slowly than I do. So I find that it's not going to tell me where the photograph was taken, so much as where I was the day I took that photograph. In itself, that helps a lot. Then Google Earth can help you home in on remembering where it was you were.

I use the Viewfinder app: you record the place and the correct frames on it. It's a real substitute of cine finders, perhaps not so useful as real viewfinder for a LF camera.

Doesn't GoogleMaps allow you to mark a location? "YourPlaces" would seem to do the job.
    Then again, there's always the map and the pencil...
    Doremus

I bought the Hunter Theodlite just for this purpose. Works well on my IPad and is available for the iPhone. http://hunter.pairsite.com/theodolite/

Roger

I understand that Fixing and recording the geographic co-ordinates of a location is easily done today.

In what photographic endeavor is it critical to document the location with GPS precision?
    Having fixed and recorded the position; electronically, how does one get the information onto the film?
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!