Page 10 of 69 FirstFirst ... 891011122060 ... LastLast

Thread: Post Your Photos Made At Close Distance

Re: Post Your Photos Made At Close Distance

Quote Originally Posted by jcoldslabs View Post
    Randy,

My oldest film is some Gevaert 5x7 that expired in 1944 which works surprisingly well. (See here for an example shot with that film.) I always test each "new" batch of old film, but I can usually get close to an exposure and development target with a single sheet. The T-Max 400 from 2001 has barely lost any speed. I shoot it at EI 320 and but develop for 12 min. in HC-110 1:39 to boost the contrast.

The rule of thumb about film losing a full stop of speed per decade is generally true in my experience, with faster films degrading more quickly and very slow films holding up quite well.

J.
    Thanks!

I will be starting a thread for glass plates, which expired in 1926.

I'll do that now, look for Expired film, plate usage and images. I hope you lead the way!
    Tin Can

Typewriter, 2014
    Sinar P, 180mm Fujinon SFS
    5x7 HP5+, D-23
    Last edited by Ken Lee; 7-Apr-2018 at 06:48.

Ken,

I enjoy these old typewriter photos. I am curious as to how you set it up or what movements you used and how extreme you need to be to do this. I think I kinda see how it was done by examining where sharp focus is and isn't. I'm also curious as to how much you stopped down the lens.

Earlier this summer I tried a combo of front tilt and swing to get a wooded trail in focus along with two signs one close, one a ways down the path. I got a little too hurried on account of the Mosquitos I guess because the signs and the diagonal connecting them are in focus but the other corners, not so much. Needed smaller aperture, I think.

Thanks

Cheese grater

Stephane, excellent image, I am blown away by the glow of the highlights. What type of lens did you use? I've got a no name single lens meniscus that I need to look thru again.

Thanks Pat, it is the effect of a P&S semi-achromatic, so a meniscus lens...

Quote Originally Posted by Fr. Mark View Post
    Ken,

I enjoy these old typewriter photos. I am curious as to how you set it up or what movements you used and how extreme you need to be to do this. I think I kinda see how it was done by examining where sharp focus is and isn't. I'm also curious as to how much you stopped down the lens.

Earlier this summer I tried a combo of front tilt and swing to get a wooded trail in focus along with two signs one close, one a ways down the path. I got a little too hurried on account of the Mosquitos I guess because the signs and the diagonal connecting them are in focus but the other corners, not so much. Needed smaller aperture, I think.
    These are made with a certain measure of improvisation, but judging from the oblique angle of the subject, tilt and swing were used to get focus along a diagonal. Apparently there was some shift too, since the typewriter keys at which we are looking straight ahead, are to the right of center. The Sinar P camera makes all this easy, since all movements are geared: you just dial them in while under the dark cloth.

That was probably made with the lens stopped down just a bit, like f/9... enough to render the sharp things sharp, but no more.

Ken,

Thanks. This Spring I bought a Sinar P kit from Igor Camera along with a Sinar shutter some DB lenses and later and from a different source a tripod and head that handle the weight and add to the work-out dimension of the photo taking. It is SO much easier to use (once you get it where you need it...did I mention it is heavy?) than other LF cameras I've tried that it is hard to believe. I'm also loving the 5x7 format.

Thanks for the explanation, it's more/less what I thought except I missed the shift and would've guessed a smaller aperture. I think it is on the articles page of this site someone recommends focusing at wide open, stopping down and re-examining the ground glass and if it looks ok, go ahead and stop down one more stop! This would've greatly improved ~16 or so 5x7's I made this summer, portraits and landscapes both. But, sometimes less focus/depth of field works, as in your picture.

Typewriter, March 2015
    Sinar P, 10 3/4 inch Goerz Apochromat Artar
    4x5 TMY, D-23
    Last edited by Ken Lee; 7-Apr-2018 at 06:48.

Velvia