Page 1 of 33 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Photographs of Historic Buildings

Photographs of Historic Buildings

I'd like to suggest that we begin a thread of color or black and white photographs that you've taken of historic buildings. When posting, please provide some information about the building whose image you're sharing. They should be scans of large format photographs as defined in this site. I you recall, let us know when the photograph was taken.

Photos could also be of architectural details of historic buildings.

Here are some guidelines for historic buildings included.

> Buildings should have been built prior to 1950.

> The buildings should be representative of their original architecture. For example, please don't include buildings that have obvious additions, or at least where the addition can be seen in the photo. With that said, if an addition is historic (say, prior to 1950?), then a building with an addition can be included.

> Don't include buildings that have vinyl windows, nor vinyl or aluminum siding.

> The buildings do not need to be listed on a national register to be included, nor do they need to be a structure within a recognized historic district.

The idea is, we want to get an idea of what a historic building looked like in its day.

The photograph I've included is of a home in Jacksonville, Oregon (USA), which I believe was built in the mid-19th century. Unfortunately, I don't know much more about the building.

The photograph is from a 4x5 color negative that was exposed in the 1990's. I'm not sure exactly why the red was showing through the paint in this fashion. I recall that it had a similar appearance in the 1960's. For me, the color added to the historic appeal of the structure.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails JHouseTrifold.jpg  
    Last edited by neil poulsen; 28-Mar-2016 at 11:33.

Re: Photographs of Historic Buildings

Only US buildings?

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew O'Neill View Post
    Only US buildings?
    Good question. I think anywhere. Thanks for asking.

Great idea. I would encourage the poster to include a bit of history of the building (when built, usage if not obvious).

Of course, "historic" is relative. Minneapolis was built in the late 1800s, so it doesn't take much. East Coast US would have a different view. And even more so in Europe.

Indeed - my last few posted photos have been of buildings over a thousand years old...

Neil

Do you know the large Minneapolis office building that was constructed of huge wood uprights. The trees were nearly the size of California Redwoods. The building was downtown and the wood verticals were at least 8 stories tall.

I saw the building a long time ago, my memory fails on name and exact location. I would love to see images of that building and revisit it one day.

Few know or remember the upper Midwest once had massive trees however every single giant tree was cut down.

Quote Originally Posted by HMG View Post
    Great idea. I would encourage the poster to include a bit of history of the building (when built, usage if not obvious).

Of course, "historic" is relative. Minneapolis was built in the late 1800s, so it doesn't take much. East Coast US would have a different view. And even more so in Europe.

"...
    > Buildings should have been built prior to 1950...."

Good Lord, I've become an historical artifact !!

Does this thread already cover the topic ? http://www.largeformatphotography.in...Buildings-Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Lee View Post
    Does this thread already cover the topic ? http://www.largeformatphotography.in...Buildings-Plus
    I don't think it does. If I understand Neil correctly, this thread is more about factual documentary than nostalgia.

A friend of mine used to work as a stonemason and often had to recontruct parts/ornaments of historic buildings. He was given old photographs to work with and was surprised about the amount of detail the old plates held.

If I can make a suggestion, let us not exclude modern artefacts like plastic windows, additions, renovations, or decay. They tell a lot about the culture of handling a historic building. The other day, I passed by a (minor) renaissance castle dating back to 1523, where they recently replaced to windows with plastic. Same story with most of the frame buildings the Bechers photographed. It hurts the eye. I would love to photograph just that. Capturing a historic building today looking like when it was built is an illusion, anyway.

Best,

Michael

I think that's a good point.

I live in a modified 110 year old factory and many age old modificationa are present and of course we modified the mods.

I have found old pictures online of the escalator factory that was once inside my space.

Schwinn factory was down the street...

Chicago burns and rebuilds, a constantly evolving city.