Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Storing (mostly expired film) whilst backpacking in South America

Storing (mostly expired film) whilst backpacking in South America

Hi everyone,
    I'll be jetting off to South America in a couple of days and intend to bring my 4x5 and a selection of films (mostly colour i.e. Portra 100T, Fuji 160NS, Astia 100F) which are mostly expired so I was wondering what the best way would be to keep they relatively cool? Obviously at home I stick 'em in the freezer but I definitely won't always (or maybe never) have access to that on my trip so what would you recommend I do? Maybe put them in an insulated lunch bag? How much damage would 4-5 months out of the freezer do to these films? (bearing in mind the Portra expired in 2008 and the Astia in 2013.)
    Thanks for any advice you can give!
    Rowan

Re: Storing (mostly expired film) whilst backpacking in South America

Why spend all that loot on travel and then trust your images to expired film? Especially expired color film?
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    Why spend all that loot on travel and then trust your images to expired film? Especially expired color film?
    Um, because that's the only type of Astia and Portra 100T as far as I know! I'll bring some in-date 160NS and Portra 400 but I prefer the tonality of the aforementioned two.

Drew Wiley

Well that isn't exactly ancient film, but still, if it's on the edge and going to get a lot of heat, why gamble? But you can use foil "freezer" bags. The best insulation
    I ever found was my goosedown jacket. I'd come down from the mtns with my filmholder box still wrapped in it, go out into hot desert, and the film holders would
    still be downright cold to the touch all day. Had to acclimate them first. This would even keep a can of soda or bottle of beer cold all day in 105 deg heat, even better than an icebox. If a down coat is too big, you could take a true down hat. Just make sure it doesn't leak a lot of down or lint.

Double zip-locked, a rigid plastic ice box - common for sale here in Brazil - and a small piece of ice bar (ice cubs melts too fast in these days.

Cheers,

Unless you're stopping to get ice every day, don't worry about it. Eventually, everything in your pack will reach the ambient temperature no matter what you put the film in.

Since you're asking, I need to ask in return why you are taking so many different films? Just sounds needlessly confusing. If this was my trip I would take one type of film and a fresh batch. I like things simple—less to think about which allows more energy for creativity and deeper seeing.

Richard Wasserman

https://www.rwasserman.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Wasserman View Post
    Since you're asking, I need to ask in return why you are taking so many different films? Just sounds needlessly confusing. If this was my trip I would take one type of film and a fresh batch. I like things simple—less to think about which allows more energy for creativity and deeper seeing.
    I see your point but I'll be travelling up through San Francisco and New York as well so I need a little variety in films. Maybe I'll just stick to the Astia and Portra. Hard decision really to choose which to take!

Astia and Portra a good choice. If the film was stored frozen prior to the trip even at seven years of age there will be a slight color balance shift with possibly a bit more if kept at room temperature for the several months during your trip. I've used Astia with exp. date of 2004 recently (kept frozen) and easily compensated for the color shift using PS. My trips are often for 4 months at a time. However when using old color that exhibits some shift I mostly use PS and Inkjet printing. I can also compensate using CC filtration when making Ilfochrome prints.

I'll add too that color rendition of a scene is somewhat arbitrary so I think you'll be OK.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

Thanks for the tips everyone! I'm gonna put a few boxes (double ziplocked) in a small cool bag with two mini freezeboards (which I'll stick in any freezer I happen to come across!) and then put that in my backpack. The film won't be cold the whole time, but it won't be (fingers crossed) hot either.