Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Kenro Izu's New Video

Re: Kenro Izu's New Video

Thanks, I love his work and this video is actually from his recent exhibition in Modena (near where I live). Seeing the prints in person was an awesome experience, they truly transmit the atmosphere captured by the photographer.
    Filippo

Quote Originally Posted by UlbabraB View Post
    Thanks, I love his work and this video is actually from his recent exhibition in Modena (near where I live). Seeing the prints in person was an awesome experience, they truly transmit the atmosphere captured by the photographer.
    Are the large prints in the exhibition platinum from enlarged negatives or are they digital prints?

Most of the prints are 14x20" platinum/palladium prints, I suppose directly from in-camera negative (there are also some dipytichs and triptychs where the sheet film boundaries are clearly visible).
    There are also big digital prints from scanned negatives.
    Filippo

He does 14x20 Platinum contact prints and enlarged prints from digital scans. When he first exhibited the Bhutan series, Howard Greenberg Gallaries sold his prints. The 14x20 Platinum prints were priced at $3500. The enlarged digital prints were priced at $15,000. No comparison in quality as the platinum prints were clearly better. But the enlarged prints were outselling the platinum's when I saw them. Size matters I guess.

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Roody View Post
    He does 14x20 Platinum contact prints and enlarged prints from digital scans. When he first exhibited the Bhutan series, Howard Greenberg Gallaries sold his prints. The 14x20 Platinum prints were priced at $3500. The enlarged digital prints were priced at $15,000. No comparison in quality as the platinum prints were clearly better. But the enlarged prints were outselling the platinum's when I saw them. Size matters I guess.
    When you say "enlarged prints from digital scans" do you mean that the original Platinum contact print was simply scanned and then enlarged and reprinted digitally or that an enlarged digital negative was made and then printed as a Platinum contact print?

I seem to recall reading somewhere where he "removed" non-essential subject matter from his images. Did he do this in camera, in the wet lab or in the computer?
    Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by tgtaylor View Post
    When you say "enlarged prints from digital scans" do you mean that the original Platinum contact print was simply scanned and then enlarged and reprinted digitally or that an enlarged digital negative was made and then printed as a Platinum contact print?

I seem to recall reading somewhere where he "removed" non-essential subject matter from his images. Did he do this in camera, in the wet lab or in the computer?
    Thomas
    The enlarged prints were from a digital printer. I don't know whether he scanned the prints or negs to make them.

As far as the 14x20's, they were straight contact prints. His process is described in this video: http://www.pem.org/sites/izu/theartist.html

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Then the only "Platinum" prints are those that were the 14x20's that contact printed from the negative. All the digital prints are inkjets.

Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by tgtaylor View Post
    Then the only "Platinum" prints are those that were the 14x20's that contact printed from the negative. All the digital prints are inkjets.

Thomas
    Yes!

George Sheils

Thanks for sharing this video.

Kenro inspires most of us, as much by his sense of peace as by his fantastic sense of vision.

The Phoenix Museum of Art has 2 shows right now on pt/pd photography. There are 8 Kenro Izu prints displayed; 4 platinum landscapes and 4 cyantoype over platinum figure studies. They are jaw-droppingly beautiful and not to be missed if you're in the area.