Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone using super glossy inkjet papers?

Anyone using super glossy inkjet papers?

Hi guys, a few years back I made some prints on a plastic paper that had incredible gloss, a wet-ink look that was really gorgeous. I have some new images that might be right for this kind of treatment, and I'm wondering what papers there are out there these days that have that ultra-gloss look? Any suggestions?

Cheers,

~cj

Re: Anyone using super glossy inkjet papers?

I use a Fuji Satin which has a very nice look , but if you are trying to match fujiflex then I will watch this thread with you..

super sensitive paper.

To really get that look in inkjet I think you have to go to face mounting on acrylic. Ink can't do that on its own.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Gittings View Post
    To really get that look in inkjet I think you have to go to face mounting on acrylic. Ink can't do that on its own.
    I am not sure exactly what look you want, but it is possible to make very super glossy inkjet prints with the Red River Ultra Glossy paper. Reflected Dmax is log 2.55, and paper white is very, very white. There are probably even better papers for this since the RR-UG is quite inexpensive, but even so the look is very interesting.

Sandy
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

That's a new one on me. As I have worked with Freestyle a bit on their paper demo extravaganza I don't remember that one but nothing I have seen comes close to what I think he is looking for. But maybe they don't carry that paper so don't have samples of it for the demos?
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

I picked up a pack of hp glossy inkjet photo paper to try with glossy Piezography and finally actually printed something a couple of weeks ago using a canned profile for cone type 5 paper I think. Slightly dark, very high dmax but it prints absolutely spectacularly. Best prints I have on my viewing place. I have not printed a step wedge and measured it yet but I will sometime. I like to print just for relaxation sometimes and you don't always want to spend money on expensive paper. The only thing I hate is the hp logo on the back.
    I also tried printing on yupo, but no the ink does not stick, I am considering yupo with a light gelatine size at some point in the future. I know printing on hand sized papers has a special look, but it's not as glossy as hp inkjet paper.

I would be interested in hearing your results with sized yupo.
    Quote Originally Posted by mdm View Post
    I picked up a pack of hp glossy inkjet photo paper to try with glossy Piezography and finally actually printed something a couple of weeks ago using a canned profile for cone type 5 paper I think. Slightly dark, very high dmax but it prints absolutely spectacularly. Best prints I have on my viewing place. I have not printed a step wedge and measured it yet but I will sometime. I like to print just for relaxation sometimes and you don't always want to spend money on expensive paper. The only thing I hate is the hp logo on the back.
    I also tried printing on yupo, but no the ink does not stick, I am considering yupo with a light gelatine size at some point in the future. I know printing on hand sized papers has a special look, but it's not as glossy as hp inkjet paper.

One of, if not the, most high gloss inkjet papers today is the Canson HighGloss Premium RC paper.

Drew Wiley

The ultimate problem is the ink itself, since it sits on top the paper, and not within an emulsion layer. You'd have to overcoat the whole print with something shiny.
    Can be done; but that's another subject. Any kind of face mounting needs a decent amount of print cure time, to allow all the glycols to thoroughly evaporate first.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Miller View Post
    One of, if not the, most high gloss inkjet papers today is the Canson HighGloss Premium RC paper.
    fwiw, looks like it's been discontinued in most sizes according to b&h but not elsewhere.