Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Thread sizes of old compur 0s and 1s?

Re: Thread sizes of old compur 0s ans 1s?

You're confusing yourself.

It's purely how lens manufacturers describe the shutters. Voigtlander clearly state they use Compur #0 & #1 S shutters but in the price list call them 0 & 1 shutters with self releases. Schneider call them Compur 0S & 1S. In the Photonet page for the Radionar you linked to the Self release can be seen as with your own lens.

Ian

Bit the problem is not self timer or not, but existing shutters that do not fit into the 0 and 1 standard scheme because of a smaller real mount thread...

Quote Originally Posted by Xipho View Post
    Bit the problem is not self timer or not, but existing shutters that do not fit into the 0 and 1 standard scheme because of a smaller real mount thread...
    No, the problem is that you call shutters that don't conform to the #0 and #1 standards #0 and #1. Where did you find the names (#0, #1) you apply to your non-standard shutters?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    No, the problem is that you call shutters that don't conform to the #0 and #1 standards #0 and #1. Where did you find the names (#0, #1) you apply to your non-standard shutters?
    I call them 0s and 1s as done so by the TO (and I think Schneider) and unless we know better by old sources...

I think it is important to know that they exist, as the mount thread ist smaller than 0 I thougt they must be 00 and wondered why they dont fit into a 00 plate (and are wobbling around in a 0 plate...).
    All compur net sources mainly deal with post 1945 shutters where clearly only 00,1,3 exist.

And if you buy a old lens for use in another shutter, you have to be aware of the existing old shutter sizes.

I call them 0s and 1s as done so by the TO (and I think Schneider) and unless we know better by old sources...
    Can I have a look at these old sources, please?

Cheers,
    Ritchie

Schneider only used the 0S and 1S shutters after their release up to their switch to th faster top speed Compur Rapid, and later post war Synchro Compur. The only difference between the 0S and 1S is the Self release and they are standard #0 & #1 fit.

There are NO non standard Compurs in pre-WWII Schneider catalogues.

When Compur switched from the Dial-set to Rimset shutters they wanted to standardise the shutter sizes as it had been expensive making non standard sizes for some lenses.

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by plaubel View Post
    Can I have a look at these old sources, please?

Cheers,
    Ritchie
    I am searching....

Fact is that there are "seem to be size 0"-Rim Set Compur shutters that are undistinguishable from a normal size 0 front from the front (when mounted), but have a smaller rear mount (inbetween the 25mm of a #00 and the 32.5mm of a #0. (about 29 or 29.5)

Can you agree that these shutters exist? (whatever their official naming by Deckel might have been)

And if it was used by the big companies Voigtländer and Zeiss ikon in reputable cameras like the Maximar thy cant be that exotic...
    I think this "special baby zero" is maybe only with zero shutters, they might not exist in Size 1 shutters... ?

What I dont get: When Schneider does a list for their lenses, which can and will be used with various shutters (especially the cheap rodinar triplet will not have gotten an expensive compur all the time) why should they label the SIZE of their lenses with a self timer feature of one single shutter???

The only real help are not lensmakers lists, but original Deckel listings...

Re: Thread sizes of old compur 0s and 1s?

In the pre-WWII Schneider catalogues the company show the shutter sizes of the Compur and Compound shutters. Even though the illustrations are with Compur shutters they don't specify what shutters rather saying the the Shutter cells are: screwed to fit all normal types of shutters.

Ian

Can you agree that these shutters exist? (whatever their official naming by Deckel might have been)
    I own 6 small Compur shutters which are so different, that I believe nearly everything concerning the old shutters.
    All threads are identical, but it wasn't able to interchange a 135 Tessar with a 135 Xenar, for example, because of the different barrels.
    But this may not help Peter.

Peter, except the knowledge of the thread of old shutters, do you have a special "task" which requires the exactly thread?

Ritchie

Re: Thread sizes of old compur 0s and 1s?

may be the case with Schneider, I dont have a schneider lens with a smaller back part, but at least Voigtländer an Zeiss Jena made lenses for the 0-small shutter. And Zeiss Jena was certainly the leading company in these days...