Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 360mm Tele-Arton or Xenar?

360mm Tele-Arton or Xenar?

I'm thinking of buying a 360mm telephoto lens for my Ebony 45s, as that is realistically the longest lens I could put on it. I don't want to spend a fortune on a lens I'm not sure I will use much, and Schneider seems the most economical of the major brands. I checked the coverage and focal length on the Schneider data page and the Arton is bigger and the focal length shorter, but is also significantly heavier. The Xenar has been made longer (I think), and so I might have more chance of picking up a bargain. In the end though it comes down to the image. Has anyone shot both and care to comment? I think the regular Xenar is a tessar. Will the tele-xenar render like tessar?

Best, Tim

Re: 360mm Tele-Arton or Xenar?

The Tele-Xenar isn't a tessar. It is a classic telephoto, two cemented doublets. Trade names can mislead.

The Tele-Arton is a different design --five air-spaced singlets in the 1983 catalog -- and by all accounts is much better than the Tele-Xenar. Tele-Artons were made in in focal lengths up to 360 mm. See http://web.archive.org/web/201009220...hiv/archiv.htm

For all I know a Tele-Xenar will do well enough to suit you. But I don't know much, haven't used either. I have used, didn't like at all, a 250/5.6 Tele-Optar, another classic telephoto. Probably no relevant to your decision.

Dan, grazing the internet I have the feeling 360mm is the sweet spot, with people not as enthusiastic about the 250 Optar or the 240 Tele-Xenar. I think the 240 and 250 just cover 4x5 (made for press cameras), but the 360 will cover 5x7, so would do double duty for me.

I only have the Xenar which I use on 5x7 but if the Arton is better it must be in areas outside the normal range of LF shooting (wide open?) because I couldn't ask for anything better in my use than the Xenar.

Thanks Chauncey. That raises my confidence level. How is it wide open? The lens is fairly fast (5.5) and I wonder if you use it more for portrait or landscape, or both?

I owned a 360 Tele-Xenar for a dozen years. Sharp as a tack, no complaints. Be aware, however, that it comes in a Copal 3 shutter and weighs about a pound and a half. I found this taxed my Zone VI (Vermont) 4x5's front standard and movements. I sold it last summer here on the LFF for $350, it was cosmetically perfect and mechanically sound. I found it was my least-used lens, and it was time to let it go.

The most important thing is what shutter they're in. Carol at Flutot's wasn't too thrilled over my Tele-Arton's great big old Compound.
    You might also look at 15" Tele-Raptar. The glass is just as good, and the shu tters more fixable.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Quote Originally Posted by Chauncey Walden View Post
    I only have the Xenar which I use on 5x7 but if the Arton is better it must be in areas outside the normal range of LF shooting (wide open?) because I couldn't ask for anything better in my use than the Xenar.
    Xenar, Chauncey, or Tele-Xenar? They're not at all the same.

retrogrouchy

I scored a 360 Tele-Arton off LFPF after doing basically the same searching you seem to be and it works very well. I chose it on the basis that it has plenty of coverage (I like to use swings) and seems to be the best-reviewed of the affordable teles, and is about the longest I can meaningfully use with my only-300mm-of-bellows. I haven't got any other teles to compare it with though.

It is, however, heavier than my Toyo 45A, which is not a particularly light camera. I do backpack with the lens but sometimes I regret that

Dan, we're discussing 360 Tele-Artons and 360 Tele-Xenars. They would break the front standards on your 6x9s;-)