Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: LFers -- why does K.I.S.S. help you, or hinder you?

LFers -- why does K.I.S.S. help you, or hinder you?

As most here know, it means "Keep it simple, stupid!"

But just for fun, I'm curious if LFers think it's mainly helpful ... or interfering.

In your work, do you think the phrase is a discourtesy to a complex (scientific) understanding – even as it scoffs deeper, intuitive feelings?

Or if you've followed the admonition with success, what did it save you from ... or inspire you to do?

For the record, I'm a zealous advocate of K.I.S.S. principles, and I can't remember a time when it has led me astray. It's like a recurring whisper in the ear against over-thinking a shot – but it might also protect people from an over-reliance on intuition.

Please tell us, if you can keep it simple, what's your LF experience with K.I.S.S.?

Re: What does K.I.S.S. mean to you?

To me it means never ever ever ever get married again. I gave up kisses for K.I.S.S. many years ago.

Lurker

Re: LFers -- why does K.I.S.S. help you, or hinder you?

What is a LFer?

Just struck me as funny or ironic as the feedback thread and the reoccurring thread high-jacking for the definition of "large format" is still ongoing on the board.

David

"LFers" is the K.I.S.S. version of "Large Format Photographers."

But now that I think about it, LF-ers (with the hyphen) might look better. ;^)

For me, sunny-16 has often proved an effective K.I.S.S. technique, even when my ever-reliable Pentax spot meter accompanies me to the field and begs for multiple readings to the nearest 1/3 stop.

The simplicity of sunny-16 has allowed me to capture many fugitive shots! For example, my favorite K.I.S.S. moment is when a herd of 60-80 elk dashed through a meadow that I had framed and focused on my GG, but not yet metered.

I apply the KISS principle to equipment and method. This allows my brain to get as complicated as it wants.

In this case, an "LFer" is someone communicating on the LFPF -- just to KISS.

PS -- the Sunny-16 rule would be a great example of the KISS concept being miss-leading for me. Absolutely of no use to me other than to double check my meter on an average day. Not a whole lot of sun making it thru the centuries of redwood growth.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

It is very helpful to me.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Lurker

It is one of the most difficult concept for me but one that I have to constantly remind myself when reviewing my photos. For me, the K.I.S.S is "say something" in my photographs.

David

Part of LF for me is studying photo history. I think the pictorialists and early modernists applied KISS to composition and what is in the photo in a way that seems quite relevant and beautiful to me.

I am sorry, all i can think about is that "you were made for loving me", because we know KISS means "keep it simple, Simmons".

One light fixture..softbox or whatever

less to pack, less to mess with, less to go wrong