Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: LF lens "sweet spots"

LF lens "sweet spots"

Is there a chart somewhere on here, or online somewhere else that shows a listing of lenses and what apertures they work best at? I know different copies of the same lens can show different results but those are usually the exception. And most copies will fall within a certain range.

I know my Ektar 127mm is great at f/22. But I also hear people love it at 16 and 32.
    Signature deleted as to not offend certain people

Re: LF lens "sweet spots"

Did you go to the central park?

Quote Originally Posted by diversey View Post
    I agree!

For me the "Sweet Spot" is wherever I want it to be.
    As in if I want a garden chair in focus but everything both behind and in front out of focus that is exactly what I will have.
    For me that's more important than a number someone claims is best.

Quote Originally Posted by diversey View Post
    I did, but I brought my Rolleiflex, i'm having slow shutter speed issues on my main LF lens at the moment.
    Signature deleted as to not offend certain people

“You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Quote Originally Posted by Shootar401 View Post
    Is there a chart somewhere on here, or online somewhere else that shows a listing of lenses and what apertures they work best at? I know different copies of the same lens can show different results but those are usually the exception. And most copies will fall within a certain range.

I know my Ektar 127mm is great at f/22. But I also hear people love it at 16 and 32.
    What is your subject. If it is flat, then the lens data mentioned above is very good. Even better would be to test your own system.
    If your subject is 3 dimensional, then optimum results can be obtained using the focusing technique of Hansma. In these cases (3-D subjects) lenses are usually used at apertures in which aperture size is the major determinant of sharpness.
    If you like blurry pictures, fuzzy pictures or oddball tilt, then your lens sweet spot is going to be highly subjective and personal.

Individual lens "sweet spots" may be very specific to that lens, made in a certain lot, at a certain time. Aside from lenses that are meant to be shot at a wider aperture for spherical aberration effects (soft focus), this general guidance for optimum f stop from Rodenstock is a decent general guide to start with.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	best_aperture_chart.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	22.0 KB 
ID:	128699

I don't care where my lenses are sharpest. I decide the aperture used on the depth of focus I intend to have (sometimes considering in relation with possible exposure time and camera movements). If the resulting image works, it was a sweet spot. If it does not...
    Jiri Vasina
    www.vasina.net

@ Google+ | @ Facebook | @ flickr

My books @ Blurb (only heavily outdated "Serene Landscape").

I would add that three things that resolution reports will not tell you are:
    1. how much vignetting you get, and at which aperture
    2. how much distortion you get, and at what distance (e.g. pincushion vs. barrel)
    3. how much field curvature you get, and at what distance. (Though resolution reports will let you guess.)

Stopping down cleans up #1 (and #3 to some extent). If you are scanning #1 & #2 are easy to fix.
    Your best bet is to look for a clean copy (no scratches on the rear element, no fungus) of a modern (plasmat, usually) lens, and test it at every aperture. If you don't like it, sell it, and buy a different one. Keep doing this until you get the resolution numbers you want.

I have tested at 150mm/5.6 Schneider Componon enlarger lens by mounting it on a macro bellows attached to one of my mirrorless cameras. I checked every aperture, and found that f/6 was probably the sharpest, and f/8 was probably the best compromise between sharpness and contrast. That's quite wide open for most LF work. Used bellows aren't terribly expensive (from KEH, for instance), and the main difficulty you'd face would be getting the right adapter rings to mount your lens. (I was fortunate the Componon had t-mount threads on one end and standard filter threads on the other. Easy to mount either way. Standard Copal threads are another matter.)

The only way to know is to check, but bear in mind stopping down a single stop can be perfectly adequate for a well corrected lens.

The Ektar 127 is a Tessar formula lens meant for a format slightly smaller than 4x5, so corner and edge resolution tends to be iffy. But if you aren't interested in having anything in focus there, what does it matter?

I think your last line said it all

what may be the sweet spot for my likes may not be for you

me thinks..there is just no way around testing.. although a fuji instant back and instant film may speed the process up