Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Noblex 6x12 camera

Noblex 6x12 camera

I just finished printing a series of images for one of my clients . He was using a Noblex 6x12 camera. I was blown away with the quality of the negatives produced as well as the aspect ratio of this format. He brought the camera in today to view and it is indeed a beauty,
    My questions , has anyone had extensive practice with this camera with long exposures? I would like to do some night photography with this camera, I imagine I will be exposing over 30 min in some cases, will this camera work or will the batteries die out before the exposure is completed? Jan / Feb the temp is quite low -10-20degrees will this affect the motar or batteries?

Noblex 6x12 camera

I can't imagine how one would go about getting a thirty minute exposure on a rotating lens camera. If it's possible at all, I would imagine some sort of external battery pack could be rigged.

Noblex 6x12 camera

Bob,

You have now joined the legion of photographers who are blown away by the quality of the Noblex optics. I run a lot of film through my Noblex 150 and don't thin k you will have any problems with long exposures in cold weather. I can't remember a 30 minute exposure but routinely expose for 5 minutes. BTW when you say "30 minutes" do you mean total exposure time of 30 min. or total lapsed timne of 30 minutes? These two numbers are very different with a Noblex since the swinging lens takes time to cover the whole film area; thus, a 1/15 exposure actually takes miuch longer (2.5 seconds if memory serves

My Noblex is a 150F which has sppeds down to 1/15 and I just keep clicking the shutter for longer times. If the model yiou are going to be using is a later model capable of handling the Panlux accessory you will be able to go longer without a second click but I don't know how long. I have done some long exposure in temperatures rangin g from 0 to 20 F but none lower than that that I can recall. A number of shorter exposures and -5 to -20 F.

Yell if you have any more specific questions.

Noblex 6x12 camera

I have an older 150F that only goes down to 1/30th, and I have to do a lot of clicks to build up even a one second exposure - so I tend to use fast color neg film (Porta 800 NC or Fuji 800), or at least 400ASA stuff, for interiors. But even with the fast film, it performs beautifully (and it only cost $1000.)

I used to have a 150UX, which goes down to 1 second if I remember right - you have to screw the slow speed module into the base and it changes the gear ratio somehow. It works great, still very smooth and even exposures. But doing a 1 second pan takes 30 seconds to complete the rotation, so if the sun is setting you can get caught never "catching up" with enough time to do the proper amount of exposure (it becomes impossible in a logrithmic sort of way.) It was just as sharp, and had a 5mm lens rise too, but I paid $1800 for it and sold it for $2200 - it sells for over $3600 new.

McDuff Everton, a travel photographer who does a lot of Conde Naste work, has a book out called "Under the Western Horizon" - these are mostly handheld Noblex shots - His work can be uneven, but the best is very, very good.

Clients love the Noblex shots for architecture, group portraits, etc. - the perfect camera for making ugly, flat warehouse type buildings look a little bit interesting... It's worth getting one even if you only use it occassionally, as you can make it pay for itself pretty easily.

Noblex 6x12 camera

In regards to your actual question (sorry) - batteries last a long time in use, but seem to go quickly if you accidently leave it on overnight. The battery compartment and the speed controls do not have locks - a design flaw. Mine works great for skiing, as the lens is protected from the elements except when rotating, and I would simply bring a spare set of AAs.

I wouldn't even try to do a 30 minute exposure, although I guess you could get a long cable release and bottle of scotch and try.

Noblex 6x12 camera

And presumably a lawn chair.

Noblex 6x12 camera

Remember what Frank and I are saying. Assuming you have the slow speeds, you are talking about 60 1 second exposures or total lapsed time of hours. Doy ou really need an exposure that long. Go here http://www.meetinghouseinn.com/ the picture cross the top was about 4 minutes on Provia 100. All available light.

Noblex 6x12 camera

Only wimps drink sitting down!~

Noblex 6x12 camera

But the falling down from sitting hurts less.

Noblex 6x12 camera

Don't care how they fall as ong as it's not into the tripod.