Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SEI Photometer - where or how to fix?

SEI Photometer - where or how to fix?

So I got lucky last Summer in finding an SEI photometer at a flea market for fifteen bucks, with case and I.B., in basically mint (looking) condition, but from which I get no response. I tried cleaning all visible contacts but still no response. Not sure about the light bulb...but the filament looks intact.

I know that Huw Finney fixed these until recently...even modified them with an updated LED and scales - but I cannot seem to find any recent info. on his SEI related activities.

I'd love to get this meter working. While my Pentax digital spot continues to be my main meter...I like that the SEI allows for more accuracy in specific situations - like individual, sun-washed tree branches against a dark background...especially with trees inaccessible to get a close reading and there's no convenient substitute around to meter.

I'm pretty good at DIY - but would not mind trusting someone else to this.

At any rate...any info would be great. More generally, if anybody who owns and uses one of these meters could chime in - this would be especially great! Thanks!

Do or do not. There is no try.

Re: SEI Photometer - where or how to fix?

Have you found these pages yet? Perhaps they'll be helpful.

http://kcbx.net/~mhd/2photo/film/expose/sei.htm

http://www.robertsuomala.com/5.html

And I guess you're already aware of Huw's page here:

http://www.huwswebthing.talktalk.net/sei.htm

but I'm including this link for anyone else with an interest in these.

That was my first meter many years ago..I picked it up at an army-navy store.

thanks to someone on shutterbug classifieds.. I found a proper calibrated bulb

even at that time..like 35 years ago - they said to be careful as that might be the last bulb available for this meter

the meter is long gone now..but I remember it as being really cool looking anyway

I have two SEI's. They are among the many things I have and should get rid of, but can't bear to let go. A year and a half ago I contacted Huw Finney about his conversion and received this reply:

"Will,
    I don't do this anymore, best of luck!"

"Best of luck" — Yeah, right!

A follow-up email requesting him to refer me to other resources went unanswered.

Learned something today about photographic ephemera !

Have you tried to put a multimeter to the bulb to see if there's continuity ?
    Sometimes bulbs filament looks ok but is really broken, it's especially hard to tell if the broken filament in a small bulb is a straight wire.

Although a calibrated bulb may be hard to find, a round bulb for 1.5 volt operation is not difficult to locate.

A little sandpaper and "presto" an SEI bulb.

The meter on top is not necessary for operation if you already have a good meter...

Just Meter Anything with the good meter, set the dial on the SEI to agree... And then adjust the bulb's potentiometer to brighten the bulb to match the spot.

Instant "De-Facto" calibration.

No need to gut the device or replace the bulb with an LED.

My SEI Photometer has a disc-shaped bulb holder. There are some which have a brass sheath for the battery so I don't know if yours works like this. In mine, the disc with light bulb goes in first, followed by the battery and then the "flashlight" back end screws on. In some the light bulb is soldered to the disc. In mine there is a threaded collar and I made a threaded retaining ring for the bulb so I could remove the bulb easily. This probably doesn't comply with official calibration technique, but works for me because of the way I check the SEI with another meter before using it to take readings (so basically I calibrate every time).

My selenium cell is weak, I know it.

Today, just to see what it takes, I had to clean the brass ledge that the disc sits on so that it would make electrical contact. I just used a dry toothpick but a chopstick would make the job easier. I polished the part of the disc that sits on that ledge, though it wasn't necessary. I don't know if it's brass or gold-plate but I wanted to be conservative with the cleaning.

A call to Quality Light Metric in Hollywood might be worthwhile. They can resurect some very old meters.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Crisp View Post
    A call to Quality Light Metric in Hollywood might be worthwhile. They can resurect some very old meters.
    I asked George Milton about the SEI a few years ago and he said he didn't work on them any more; that parts were no longer available.

And more recently he told me he can no longer replace the photocells in the Weston meters as those are no longer made and he has no more.

David

What truly intrigues me about this meter is that, if I'm not mistaken, the potential effective metering area can be as small as needed - and potentially much smaller than even the 1/2 degree specified. Again, I think of the thin, sunlit tree branch against a shadowed background. Can others chime in on this?

And Will Whitaker...do you remember drawing a picture of a pizza on a napkin, giving this to the waitress, who then presented it to the chef - and this chef then created a very close rendition of your drawing? We also shared notes and ideas about designing and building cameras back in the day? Please disregard this if you're not the same person - but I am curious!