Thread: LEE Wide Angle Lens Hood

LEE Wide Angle Lens Hood

Hello,

I use a LEE Wide Angle Lens Hood at all times, regardless of whether or not I am using a GND or ND filter. My lens shade has a LEE 105mm Accessory Front Thread Adapter Ring.

I often shoot in locations with salt spray, and would like to add a degree of protection to my lenses. Instead of purchasing separate UV filters (B+W multicoated), I am thinking about purchasing a 105mm filter holder to mount in the lens hood. Does anyone have experience with this?

Questions:

1) Would the UV filter have (more of) an impact on image quality if it were in the hood?

2) Would the (potential) impact on image quality be reduced if the UV filter was attached directly to the lens, behind the LEE wide angle adaptor ring and wide angle shade, or would it make no difference at all?

3) If the UV filter were mounted directly to the lens, and I add a GND or ND into the mix, would the impact on image quality be greater than it would be if the UV filter were attached to the shade?

Just in case it makes a difference, I use: a Fujinon CM-W 210mm f5.6, Fujinon CM-W 135mm f5.6 and a Fujinon SWD 90mm f5.6 on 4x5; and, a Fujinon CM-W 300 mm f5.6 on 8x10.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Robert

Re: LEE Wide Angle Lens Hood

Quote Originally Posted by Robert in Munich View Post
    I often shoot in locations with salt spray, and would like to add a degree of protection to my lenses.
    Hi Robert,

I'm not sure I completely understand your post, but as a Lee system user & zealous advocate of K.I.S.S. principles, I thought I'd offer a few personal habits that might help you develop a "protection" strategy of your own.

Each of my three lenses (110/150/240) sports a nice uv/protection filter, multi-coated, which stays on just about all the time.

The Lee adaptor rings go onto these filters – either for the holder, the WA hood, or both.

Sometimes, when I'm shooting in beautiful, tranquil conditions, I remove the protection filters for the whole shooting session. But if the sunlight or its reflections are direct or harsh – then there is no "sometimes" about it – I will always remove them.

If I’m shooting in hostile conditions (blowing dust and grit/falling mist or rain/ocean or river spray), I replace the nice protection filters w/ inexpensive clean ones. I also use a plastic bag to protect the camera. However, the composition has to be unique and unrepeatable for me to enter and work in these conditions, which happens far more often than one might suppose!

Hope this helps – and welcome to the forum...

-----
    This might be an opportune time to comment on the ever-"hostile" conditions of the mature forests of my region, no matter how friendly the weather or wind conditions might be. The amount of airborne-particle debris from cones, boughs and branches – and especially from the ever-disintegrating bark from Sierra Redwoods and Douglas Firs – has always, and will always, astonish me!

Thanks, Heroique!

I am debating wether or not I need to buy separate filters, or if I can get away with just one 105mm filter to mount in the LEE hood.

I use filters all the time with my digital and medium format (fixed lens) cameras, but am trying to economize with one UV filter for use with the LEE hood.

I just noticed a few typos. I've fixed them in the text below:

Quote Originally Posted by Robert in Munich View Post
    Hello,

I use a LEE Wide Angle Lens Hood at all times, regardless of whether or not I am using a GND or ND filter. My lens shade has a LEE 105mm Accessory Front Thread Adapter Ring.

I often shoot in locations with salt spray, and would like to add a degree of protection to my lenses. Instead of purchasing separate UV filters (B+W multicoated), I am thinking about purchasing a 105mm filter to mount in the lens hood. Does anyone have experience with this?

Questions:

1) Would the UV filter have (more of) an impact on image quality if it were in the hood?

2) Would the (potential) impact on image quality be reduced if the UV filter were attached directly to the lens, behind the LEE wide angle adaptor ring and wide angle hood, or would it make no difference at all?

3) If the UV filter were mounted directly to the lens, and I add a GND or ND into the mix, would the impact on image quality be greater than it would be if the UV filter were attached to the hood?

Just in case it makes a difference, I use: a Fujinon CM-W 210mm f5.6, Fujinon CM-W 135mm f5.6 and a Fujinon SWD 90mm f5.6 on 4x5; and, a Fujinon CM-W 300 mm f5.6 on 8x10.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Robert

I myself only use filters for B&W color effects, although I do go through some of the harshest conditions on the planet.
    This is because I've seen too many shots ruined by stray light causing reflections off of filters.
    I just clean everything as good as I can, and have never had an issue.

Something to think about with LF.
    We can easily clean the outside of most lenses. However we can't easily clean the inside of the shutter. Which is more likely to get damaged with sand and other contaminants.