Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Chamonix Holders - Worth the Cash?

Chamonix Holders - Worth the Cash?

I have holders, but those 4x5 look nice and light.

Worth the cash over the Liscos and Fidelity's of the world?

On a side note, what's the ideal amount of holders you like to have? I have like 25-30 holders but I seem to never load more than 6 at a time.

Re: Chamonix Holders - Worth the Cash?

Quote Originally Posted by dodphotography View Post
    On a side note, what's the ideal amount of holders you like to have? I have like 25-30 holders but I seem to never load more than 6 at a time.
    I have about 22 4x5 film holders, but the most I ever load and go out with at one time is about 12-13 (a 25 sheet box worth of film), but I also plan on reloading holders each night.

I've never paid more than $10 for 4x5 holders (Toyo), usually more like $5 (others). The only one's I've had issues with were beat up or cracked. I've got close to 50. I usually carry a dozen when out shooting, more in the car. Everything Chamonix makes is nice. Sure, they're lighter but will your pictures turn out that much better? I'd rather spend $$ on the important stuff.
    Last edited by vinny; 27-Jan-2015 at 09:35.

In 4x5, you can find Toyos used and even new. In large formats, they are the best I have 11x14 and 8x10..

I didn't know Toyo made 11x14 holders; does that mean they also made an 11x14 camera?

Quote Originally Posted by Ari View Post
    I didn't know Toyo made 11x14 holders; does that mean they also made an 11x14 camera?
    He's speaking of chamonix holders.

This is in regards to 4x5 holders. 60 bucks a whack is tough.

I have a bunch of Chamonix holders in 6.5x8.5 which I use regularly. They're good holders overall, but there's nothing about them that would induce me to pay a big premium to replace my Fidelity holders for 4x5 (or 5x7 or 8x10 or 11x14).

loujon

Quote Originally Posted by Ari View Post
    Ari I believe Evan is saying his 11x14 & 8x10 holders are Chamonix, not Toyo. I also believe he is saying his 4x5 are Toyo holders.

BTW- I don't think Toyo manufactured an 11x14 camera.

BTW2- Sorry for the duplicate answer.

I have a whole bunch of wood 4x5 holders, and don't understand why people would prefer the heavier, less cool, plastic, or need to pay big money for new holders. I don't think I paid more than $3 for any of them, and many of them are practically new, don't leak, and put the focus right where I put it. With $3 holders being perfectly fine, and accurately made, I don't understand the lure of the high priced spread at all. But I guess some people equate spending obscene amounts of money with quality? There's a certain irony when people prefer plastic because it's not wood, and then they're willing to spend multiples of what plastic costs to buy expensive wood. Someone needs to make a $300 plastic 4x5 holder, and it would probably sell like hotcakes, because it's not wood, and better than the holder that's not plastic, which was better than the plastic holder that's better because it's not wood.
    Thanks, but I'd rather just watch:
    Large format: http://flickr.com/michaeldarnton
    Mostly 35mm: http://flickr.com/mdarnton
    You want digital, color, etc?: http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradofear