Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Issues with fp100c in a Polaroid 405

Issues with fp100c in a Polaroid 405

So my folding 4x5 build is nearing completion - so near that I can actually use the camera now. I loaded a pack of fp100c in my Polaroid 405 and took some test shots.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	42.6 KB 
ID:	131348 they almost all have the same streaking. But some do not.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	27.6 KB 
ID:	131349

I realized that the streaks are caused by the paper tabs as they are being pulled up between the rollers along with the film/negative. What might I be able to do to prevent this? I don't see any other way to load the film pack.

Any suggestions?

I have carefully cleaned the rollers and the problem persists, btw.

Re: Issues with fp100c in a Polaroid 405

could be a bad pack, is it fresh?
    It could also be a bad set of rollers, where they look clean and in place, but in fact the brackets/tabs are broken off. They are very small and flimsy and that can happen from time to time, even in newer and less used rollers.
    So - remove the roller assembly and check to see it is good.

Try another pack and see if it was the one bad pack.

Quote Originally Posted by koh303 View Post
    could be a bad pack, is it fresh?
    It could also be a bad set of rollers, where they look clean and in place, but in fact the brackets/tabs are broken off. They are very small and flimsy and that can happen from time to time, even in newer and less used rollers.
    So - remove the roller assembly and check to see it is good.

Try another pack and see if it was the one bad pack.
    I bought 5 packs when I started building the camera (thinking that it would be done in a month or two...) and they expired in January of this year. Could be the problem I suppose, but I kinda doubt it. I removed, cleaned and inspected the rollers between packs one and two... I'm on pack three now - no change. I'll do it again when after finishing pack three. They are clean appearing right now.

As mentioned it seems to be related to the tabs getting wadded into the rollers. There are even scratches down the back of the negative (black outer surface) that correspond exactly with the streaks as well as the location of the tabs. It seems that too much stuff is trying to fit between the rollers and the film is being squeezed too tightly as a result - and developer is spread too thinly or some other issue.

Hard to say, but you really need another known good 405 to compare, if you don't know these real well.

It is also possible all your film is heat damaged.

That's the trouble with Fujiroid, you can burn a lot of it until you figure it all out.

Where are you? Find an old camera store guy or something, look for an old guy on Craigslist or a young one that shoots it.
    Tin Can

Disassembled, cleaned rollers. Put a drop of Teflon lube on each end. No difference. The problems I was having with the tabs feeding properly seem to have improved, but the big center streak is no better. This is a pack and a half later, btw.

I noticed that despite my best efforts, one roller drags a bit while the other seems to spin more freely. Does that seem normal?

I'm beginning to think that the rollers are in fact bad. I guess that means I need a new 405. Any other thoughts? I

Quote Originally Posted by brandon allen View Post
    Disassembled, cleaned rollers. Put a drop of Teflon lube on each end. No difference. The problems I was having with the tabs feeding properly seem to have improved, but the big center streak is no better. This is a pack and a half later, btw.

I noticed that despite my best efforts, one roller drags a bit while the other seems to spin more freely. Does that seem normal?

I'm beginning to think that the rollers are in fact bad. I guess that means I need a new 405. Any other thoughts? I
    One roller does drag, by design, it has resistance from the square cut U shaped retaining springs.

I think you have bad film.
    Tin Can

Might be. Thanks.

I found some new rollers on eBay, I'll get new film too (since I've chewed thru all the stuff I had). If that doesn't fix it - ???

Quote Originally Posted by brandon allen View Post
    I found some new rollers on eBay, I'll get new film too (since I've chewed thru all the stuff I had). If that doesn't fix it - ???
    You might have some cosmic energy on your hands...

Darn invisible cosmic forces!!! I hate those!