Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions for dark cloth or other light excluding device for Horseman L-frame

Re: Suggestions for dark cloth or other light excluding device for Horseman L-frame

Quote Originally Posted by Bill_1856 View Post
    BTZS focusing hood (check eBay)
    Or the View Camera Store. http://www.viewcamerastore.com/focus-hood/

Personly I really like the BTZS hoods, as it is easy to block out virtually all the light making it much easier for me to focus.

Roger

Re: Suggestions for dark cloth or other light excluding device for Horseman L-frame

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Thoms View Post
    Or the View Camera Store. http://www.viewcamerastore.com/focus-hood/

Personly I really like the BTZS hoods, as it is easy to block out virtually all the light making it much easier for me to focus.

Roger
    How do you focus if the focus knob is inside the hood? I like the BlackJacket because it gives tit the arms option. Though with my new camera i've been getting by with just a dark cloth over me, mostly just because I haven't wanted to spend the money on a larger blackjacket than my 4x5 version.

I own both a BTZS which I bought for 4x5 and also a BlackJacket which I later bought for my 8x10.

The BlackJacket is as dark as you are going to get. It's black under there! On the downside, the BlackJacket is a bit more finicky to use than the BTZS and takes a little longer since you put your arms through it. Both are very nice dark cloths though and I'd highly recommend either one.

I use a black $3 T-shirt from Walmart. The neck fits the back of my 4x5. REversed, it fits over the back of my 8x10, and my face fits in the neck hole. I got two and doubled them up to eliminate all light inside. My sister sewed up the armholes. Works great.
    Bruce Barlow
    author of "Finely Focused" and "Exercises in Photographic Composition"
    www.brucewbarlow.com

BAB

Enough with the white and black cloth.....you need a waterproof focusing hood? What, a plumbing leak in your studio . Although I can see how the waterproof feature might be useful for light bouncing .

Thanks for all the input. Even about the black and white cloth . The black T-shirt might work, but the BTZS wouldn't, as the Horseman L-frame is a monorail camera, sic:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150126_7842.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	124.3 KB 
ID:	128523
    Not only could I not get the BTZS around the monorail, there are adjustments on the L-frame. Which is why I was looking for something like a big sock that would fit over just the ground glass/film holder.

No suggestions refused ,
    BAB

Suggestions for dark cloth or other light excluding device for Horseman L-frame

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce B View Post
    Enough with the white and black cloth.....you need a waterproof focusing hood? What, a plumbing leak in your studio . (Snip)
    Not everyone hides away in the studio, some of us actually go outside

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422317544.642417.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	114.0 KB 
ID:	128531

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422317574.904746.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	116.3 KB 
ID:	128532

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422317593.859974.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	103.2 KB 
ID:	128533

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422317655.545275.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	98.9 KB 
ID:	128534

Quote Originally Posted by fishbulb View Post
    A piece of black fabric from a sewing/fabric store. Won't cost much and you can check the transparency of the fabric at the store.
    Yup that's what I have, some blackout curtain material in white sewn to some black cotton and a length of black 550 cord used as a drawstring. Cost me about $15 in all.
    Signature deleted as to not offend certain people

Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    How do you focus if the focus knob is inside the hood? I like the BlackJacket because it gives tit the arms option. Though with my new camera i've been getting by with just a dark cloth over me, mostly just because I haven't wanted to spend the money on a larger blackjacket than my 4x5 version.
    I open up the Velcro on the just enough to reach my hand in. I also have the Blackjacket and it is nice to, but I went back to the BTZS hood because it is simpler.

Roger

Mine is 1.5 yards of both White and Black Blackout curtain material sewn together with a piece of velcro on one end.
    It is a little heavy, but works quite well.
    It has also doubled as a blanket more than once.

I originally used black T-shirts.
    It worked quite nicely, however I felt like an idiot in public places.
    Plus when people are curious about it, they are more comfortable under a darkcloth than looking through a T-shirt.

BAB

What a great idea, going outdoors!