Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: The pine board camera build

Re: The pine board camera build

The first negative in the shop was pure white, under exposed, second was outside for 15 sec. and turned black.

The other thing is I can see the image perfectly clear in the lens looking from the rear through the glass but doesn`t look like I`m seeing it on the glass if that makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Pitchy View Post
    The first negative in the shop was pure white, under exposed, second was outside for 15 sec. and turned black.

The other thing is I can see the image perfectly clear in the lens looking from the rear through the glass but doesn`t look like I`m seeing it on the glass if that makes sense.
    Well now you know 15 seconds is too long, way too long. Try as fast as you can outside with however you are controlling shutter speed. FAST
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by DrTang View Post
    here's mine
    ME too. Here is my 1967 triple blue almost new 326 Firebird. Shot in 1967 with P&S 126 square format Kodachrome. Notice the tires look worn, it needed new wide ovals every 10K as I drove it sideways most of the time. Today they would call it 'Drifting'.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Almost new 1967 triple blue.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	218.3 KB 
ID:	128420
    Tin Can

Les

Did you install a ground glass in the rear ?

Les

Nice car Randy.

Yepper, the guess work on exposure begins again, I have a lens cover on it and will try it again tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Leszek Vogt View Post
    Did you install a ground glass in the rear ?

Les
    Yes but when I look through it looks like the image is on the lens, I`ll take the ground glass out next time and see if I see the same image.

SF Bay Area 94303

Hint: The image on the ground glass should be upside down. You probably will need to use one of those dark cloth things to see it. Look at the ground glass and not the lens.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Fry View Post
    Hint: The image on the ground glass should be upside down. You probably will need to use one of those dark cloth things to see it. Look at the ground glass and not the lens.
    Good point thanks I forgot that, and yep I need to put a blanket over the back.
    I`m trying to look at the glass but that big lens is so bright it`s hard not to see it.
    I may need too scuff up the glass a little more also, tomorrow is another day of trials.

Edit, I tried an experiment by holding a magnifying glass and looking at an object.
    When holding the glass close the image is upright but when ya get further away it inverts.
    Doe`s anything with this stuff make sense, so what I`m saying is the image probably is inverted in the lens looking from the back of the camera without the glass.

The image should be inverted. That distance from your eye to the lens is about the focal length for the object you are focused on. An easy way to evaluate lenses is to hold it up near a white wall across from a bright window. Move the lens towards or away from the wall until it forms a clear image on the wall. Distance from the wall to the lens is the focal length of the lens, if the object in focus outside is fairly far away. This test will also reveal image circle, if their is nothing (like curtains) vignetting the view. What works better is to hold the lens against the window with curtains pulled tight around it, and move a piece of white foam core in an out till an image is formed. In that way you should see the full image circle, and that will tell you what format it will cover. Doing all this requires three hands, or an assistant!

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Meisburger View Post
    The image should be inverted. That distance from your eye to the lens is about the focal length for the object you are focused on. An easy way to evaluate lenses is to hold it up near a white wall across from a bright window. Move the lens towards or away from the wall until it forms a clear image on the wall. Distance from the wall to the lens is the focal length of the lens, if the object in focus outside is fairly far away. This test will also reveal image circle, if their is nothing (like curtains) vignetting the view. What works better is to hold the lens against the window with curtains pulled tight around it, and move a piece of white foam core in an out till an image is formed. In that way you should see the full image circle, and that will tell you what format it will cover. Doing all this requires three hands, or an assistant!

Thanks Tim, I was trying that today I`d hold different lens`s under a light bulb over the table and moved it until I got a image of the light bulb on the table.
    The focal length varied between 5 inch and 12 inches depending on the lens.
    We should get a negative tomorrow if I can hit the exposure time right.