Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Getting the correct temperature while developing at home?

Re: Getting the correct temperature while developing at home?

robphoto has one of the best ideas. It is easy to do and costs little.
    An aquarium heater works very well. just get a plastic tub deep enough for you film tanks, fill it with just enough water to NOT float the tanks. Take the time, maybe an hour or so, to adjust the heater to heat to your desired temperature. This will remain the same over time.
    Another method which I use for B&W is a chart to show the adjustment in time needed as temp changes up or down. I have used it for years with no problems.

I've read that a sous-vide cooker is pretty useful for maintaining temperature and circulation. The ~$60 models on Amazon can go up to ~200F with a claimed +/- 0.1C temperature 'accuracy'. You can also clip it onto whatever container you want to use as your water bath.

Widows and Orphans Beware

I bought a 50 watt aquarium heater that is supposed to be able to heat 10 gallons up to 104 degrees, but it can't get my four or five gallons of water any higher than 80 degrees. Maybe it's because my basement is around 60 degrees. I'm going to try a heftier heater, maybe 200 watts.

In the past I've used a large stock pot on a kitchen stove which doesn't really allow for exquisitely fine control but generally got the job done.

Drew Wiley

Without an accessory tempering valve, on-demand water would potentially be way off. These kinds of tempering valves were once routine for darkroom sinks. They are still readily available either new or used through lab suppliers. You might even post a request on this forum, to see if someone has one to sell.
    Much greater temp accuracy can be obtained using scientific-grade thermoregulators. The real deal won't be found on Amazon or cost $60 - multiply that cost by at least 20. But those devices are overkill for basic black and white film development. A simple water jacket arrangement and good thermometer are generally all you need. Beyond that, either a gentle drip hot water line in the jacket, or else a blue ice brick, depending on the ambient air temperature, is simple enough to improvise too. I have all the above, plus several other reliable options too, but generally stick with the simplest manner unless there is a reason to get nitpicky, like when needing masks or color separation negs of very precise gamma and density. Today I was using a basic Jobo tempering box for sake of plastic bottles containing RA4 chemistry.

+1 for the sous vide device. I've been using an Anova model (https://anovaculinary.com/anova-precision-cooker/) for about four years. Temperature is rock solid, easily adjustable, and fast. It clips onto the side of any container. Super easy for use with large and small drums.

I'm not in the mood to read all the posts so this may be a repeat.
    The simplest and likely the most used over the past 50 years, is the "pass through" method.
    If you have trouble maintaining a temperature, do some tests.
    Let's say you want to maintain 80 deg F. and your ambient temp is 70deg, Heat the quantity of water you will be using to 85 degrees and see what the temp is at the endo for the amount of time you develop. If it has fallen to 75deg the avg will be close to 80. I should say close enough to 80.
    This is simple example, but I hope you get the idea, and it really does work.

I'm really new to developing film so take this for what its worth. I use the Sous-vide from anova. I took apart an old plastic toolbox I had sitting around and filled it with water. Keeps the chems and my development tanks right at the target temps with no problems. It may be a bit overkill for Black and white, but I just did C-41 where it worked perfectly. I'll be trying E-6 soon. The Haas controller was an eBay find that was too good to pass up and also works wonderfully when needed.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9124.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	36.8 KB 
ID:	215108

Widows and Orphans Beware

Heck yeh. I just bought a 500 watt sous vide device by Instapot from Amazon for $89 and it is amazing. My set up is in my basement which has a constant temp of about 58 degrees, and the sous vide warms up my color chemicals to 105 degrees in about 15 minutes. (These are in plastic storage containers, glass might take longer to transfer the heat.) I wish I had known about these things 20 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Yorke View Post
    +1 for the sous vide device. I've been using an Anova model (https://anovaculinary.com/anova-precision-cooker/) for about four years. Temperature is rock solid, easily adjustable, and fast. It clips onto the side of any container. Super easy for use with large and small drums.

When I was in school and developing color roll film, we would put the beakers of chemicals and the developing container into a water bath in a big dishpan sort of thing (18x24x8") and put the thermometer in the water bath and add hot water to keep the temp up as it drifted. Pretty accurate, and no equipment to buy.

I see it now has 800 watts $80 and can hold temp for up to 72 hours

I may buy one with Prime, but will never cook with it

Quote Originally Posted by Michael_4514 View Post
    Heck yeh. I just bought a 500 watt sous vide device by Instapot from Amazon for $89 and it is amazing. My set up is in my basement which has a constant temp of about 58 degrees, and the sous vide warms up my color chemicals to 105 degrees in about 15 minutes. (These are in plastic storage containers, glass might take longer to transfer the heat.) I wish I had known about these things 20 years ago.
    Tin Can