Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Durst L1200 Magnification Grip Slips

Durst L1200 Magnification Grip Slips

Hi,

I have this 20+ years old Durst L1200 Laborator (condensor version) which has been working flawlessly. Recently I noticed a small problem with the hand grips you use to raise and lower the head:

Seen from the back: Grip A is for the fine adjustment, B dislodges and is used to move smoothly over larger distances:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DurstL1200GRrips.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	155.8 KB 
ID:	127961

The problem that grip A does not function any more, ie the head does not move when turned.

A closer look reveals this:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DurstL1200GripBack.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	121.0 KB 
ID:	127962

So Grip A drives chain C and a metal disc, which has a black disc (of rubber or ? material) attached to it, which is supposed to take a long metal disc E which drives the Teflon gear for the fine adjustment.

As I judge is :this black material is worn, become smooth, and does not "pick" up the metal disc E by friction any more (I assume that a clutch works along these lines, not to well versed in mechanics).

Is this the cause, and is it repairable (with not too much effort and difficulties) ?

thanks and best,

Cor

Re: Durst L1200 Magnification Grip Slips

I am wondering if maybe the mechanism has gotten dirty over time and needs a good cleaning or perhaps the belt has stretched and should be replaced. Am I correct to assume that nothing can be adjusted?

Richard Wasserman

https://www.rwasserman.com/

Hi Richard,

The distance between the belt and the metal disc which it should engage (right phrase?) is only 1-2 mm, so cleaning is hard I guess, the grip B pushes both metal discs together by a flat thin metal strip/spring, which pushes out the disc C to the right towards disc E. Can just be seen. This spring can presumably adjusted by the 2 screws at the front, next to letter C, they are however covered in red stuff, probably not to be touched ?

Thanks,

Cor

I have the same enlarger, but so far have not had this problem. You can clean with an electronic spray cleaner which should be available at an auto parts store. Something like this— http://tinyurl.com/q479fre You might need to re-lubricate the chain, I think with white lithium grease you can buy at the same place where you get the spray cleaner. I don't know what to suggest if the belt needs replacing, but I assume they used a common one that is still available somewhere.

I think you're correct about the screws with red stuff (Loctite)—don't touch.

Good luck!

Richard Wasserman

What I don't know from the manual and pictures: Does the locking knob act through that clutch or does it lock by some other means. You seem to indicate the head can still be locked. So, I suspect the clutch a 'slipper clutch' that allows the head to move up and down without wildly spinning the fine adjustment knob?

If that is the case then the screws with red on them could be adjustment screws for the mechanism.

Hi IC Racer

Truth is that I actually don't know when it stopped working, I usually use grip B, which is actually more of an Off (move head freely) On (fix head) knob by turning up or down. Mostly that is enough to get the right magnification, so in the past the fine adjustment grip A worked fine, but somewhere I changed habits. Recently I did not get there easily by just B and wanted to use the A grip, just than I noticed the slippage (well actually the head does not move at all when using grip A).

Grip A and B "command" the same disc, D. When moving the head freely (B dislodged) D and E are not engaged, but E turns when you move the head up through the teflon gear (grip A does not move than). When you lock the head, D is pressed on E , the head is lock, but not tight enough , if you turn grip A, D moves through chain C, but there is not enough/no grip to get E moving .

Kinda hard to explain, but I hope I made it clear. It's not that the enlarger is beyond operation, I can get by fine, but I always like to have my equipment functional.

On the screws: have to take a good look again, but my enlarger is in a tight place, and getting behind it is not that easy.

Best,

Cor

I just got one of these and the rail and the big "spring" that goes up and down counterbalancing the head were filthy. I used some Goo be gone and cleaned it up with a paper towel. Much smoother action as a result. I had to remove the back cover and about 4 screws to do it. That may be the issue.

I've never opened mine, nor had problems with it, but seeing those plastic gears there really made me worry...

Yeah, me too.

Quote Originally Posted by ndrs View Post
    I've never opened mine, nor had problems with it, but seeing those plastic gears there really made me worry...

Richard Wasserman

Cor, the disc ( E ) with the rubber ring looks severely worn to the point of seeing the reinforcing cords in the rubber.
    Is there something inside that may be scraping against the rubber on ( E ) ?
    For something like that to wear down to the point of seeing the reinforcement doesn't make sense to me on an enlarger.

Is Durst still in business ? it may be worthwhile to call to see if they have a replacement part