Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Screw Source for C-403

Corpus Christi and Hallettsville, Texas, USA

Screw Source for C-403

Hi All,
    I am looking for a source for the thick headed machine screw that acts as a pivot for the slider levers for the standards. Not sure if I described it correctly, but included is a photo. I think the camera is a very nice Calumet C-403. I thought it was 100% complete until I noted the one lever was not working and discovered the bolt was missing. Thanks.

Steve Pituch
    Corpus Christi, Texas, USA

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screw-2.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	78.8 KB 
ID:	163977Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screw-1.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	50.3 KB 
ID:	163978

Photographer

Re: Screw Source for C-403

Unless it's a standard fastener, it will be hard or impossible to find. It's not really clear from your pictures where this is and how a screw fits in there. It looks like there is a screw in there but that a longer screw with a larger head is needed--correct? If so, a socket head cap screw and a washer might take care of it. Take the existing screw out and take it to Home Depot or an Ace where you can size the screw and buy the right length. It might help to take the camera with you. You may be able to find these screws in stainless which will look better on your camera.
    Keith Pitman

If you can post a picture of the screw itself, that would help.

McMaster-Carr Supply carries a huge assortment of screws of many different types.
    http://www.mcmaster.com
    and click on the "Screws and Bolts" icon at upper left.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

Photographer

Quote Originally Posted by Leigh View Post
    If you can post a picture of the screw itself, that would help.

McMaster-Carr Supply carries a huge assortment of screws of many different types.
    http://www.mcmaster.com
    and click on the "Screws and Bolts" icon at upper left.

Does Leigh get paid every time he recommends McMaster Carr? If not, he should. :-)

- Leigh
    Keith Pitman

Hi Keith,

No. I'm just a satisfied customer. I place one or two orders every week.
    They have everything I've ever needed, in stock.

McMaster-Carr has been a major US-based industrial supplier for over 100 years.
    I think they deserve our full support.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

These CC-400 cameras are the VW Beetles of the LF world. Rugged, functional, and found everywhere. Calumet sold them by the thousand, for decades, and I can't imagine that there are any exotic parts in what is a very simple design.
    (Of course when we used them at Kodak, Calumet was still in business and parts, if needed, were a phone call away.)
    Perhaps someone rescued the drawings and parts inventory from the wreckage of Calumet? Even if not, should not be too difficult to repair.

Corpus Christi and Hallettsville, Texas, USA

Hi All,
    Thanks for the advice. I will take out one of the screws this weekend and take a macro photo of it, and also take some measurements with a micrometer. For those of you that don't know, and I should have included another photo, it is under the rail and when you squeeze the lever you can slide the standard along the rail quickly without needing to turn the knob. Once you get the standard in roughly the correct position one can use the knob to fine tune the focus. Having the lever function is not really needed as I use the knobs to move the standards and focus most of the time anyway. But I would like to have the camera complete. I noticed the three remaining screws are loose and I will put some Loctite on them.
    Also wondering if someone might have a junker that I can buy a screw from.

Photographer

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Pituch View Post
    . . . the three remaining screws are loose and I will put some Loctite on them...
    Those screws may be loose for a reason. Proceed cautiously. Also, a picture of a screw isn't going to do much good. An actual screw can be measured and replaced.
    Keith Pitman

Bring your screws to Ace Hardware, 15326 S Padre Island Drive, Corpus Christi. They have gauges on display to size your fasteners. You might have to shorten them. They also carry the economical Dremel kits.

The screw appears to be complete and functional. That screw on my similar camera has a 4-40 thread and about a 0.140 diameter head. Perhaps a socket head 4-40 screw cut to the correct length and the head turned down to the correct diameter would be a quick Ace Hardware substitute. However, the problem may well be the lever is sprung so it slips over the screw head instead of pivoting around it. If you do remove the screw, use Locktite when replacing it so it doesn't unscrew with use.