Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Heidelberg Tango + Win 7 x64

Heidelberg Tango + Win 7 x64

I am sick of using this awful G4 with Newcolor (Newcolor for PC is useless due to the sharpening-bug) and scared that it's hardware might fail someday.

So I wanted to give Silverfast a second chance, also to have the option to scan C-41. But it does not work on my computer! The old Adaptec-SCSI-card I used 2 years ago does not work with x64, the Ratoc does not work and I am also unable to install Windows XP/7 32Bit on this machine.
    Lasersoft was unable to help. Silverfast simply does not recognize any scanner.

Who is using Silverfast + Tango on a modern computer and can tell me the exact configuration (SCSI-card!?)?

Thanks!

Re: Heidelberg Tango + Win 7 x64

Adaptec don't have Win7 64bit drivers for anything less than the U160 cards. But there are Vista/W2008 64bit drivers for the Ultra series cards out on the net (google for djsvs.inf_6451fbc2) - YMMV whether these will work with modern RAID enclosures or DLT tape drives, but they often will do with old scanners. If that fails, getting hold of a old computer to run a 32bit OS will be much cheaper than getting hold of a U160 card and a matching conversion cable...

Quote Originally Posted by georgl View Post
    I am sick of using this awful G4 with Newcolor (Newcolor for PC is useless due to the sharpening-bug) and scared that it's hardware might fail someday.

So I wanted to give Silverfast a second chance, also to have the option to scan C-41. But it does not work on my computer! The old Adaptec-SCSI-card I used 2 years ago does not work with x64, the Ratoc does not work and I am also unable to install Windows XP/7 32Bit on this machine.
    Lasersoft was unable to help. Silverfast simply does not recognize any scanner.

Who is using Silverfast + Tango on a modern computer and can tell me the exact configuration (SCSI-card!?)?

Thanks!
    You might want to try another SCSI card with your G4. I could not get Silverfast to work with a Howtek 7500 with a G4 with the Adaptec SCSI card, but the combination works fine with an Acard 6712 TUM.

Sandy
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

Tanks. Just to clarify, it works with my G4, but the G4 is awfully slow, easy to crash and 17 years old...

When I make the switch to Silverfast (which is not even supported anymore, no updates, no current film profiles!) for about 1500€ I wouldn't like to operate it on another outdated system - but maybe this is the only option. I switched the Adaptec card (from 2930?) because the drivers did not work on Win x64 and the system does not operate with 32bit... So i bought the oldest Adaptec with x64 support - but now Silverfast does not work with this card!

I run both NC and SF on Powermac G4 FW800 1.4 GHz and MDD 1.25 GHz and am absolutely happy in terms of speed. I also tried to get the scanner running on a late G5 model (which was slower than the MDD) but didn't succeed. I wouldn't go for the super expensive FireWire-adapter card in case it breaks (hard to find - if found, hard to justify). I prefer to have two or three spare Powermacs ready to work.

The more I scan the less I care for SF. It's a pain to use and only of help when it comes to slides (no sharpening). All the rest yields similar or better results (no sharpening of negatives with NC) with NC.

Which Powermac G4 are you using?

Quote Originally Posted by georgl View Post
    So i bought the oldest Adaptec with x64 support - but now Silverfast does not work with this card!
    What card would that be? And what driver do you attempt to use? And is Silverfast a 64bit version?

I tested the old 2940 with Win7 32bit as well - Silverfast does not recognize the scanner
    I used the 2930LP with Win7 x64 and the original drivers - same problem

Last I checked you could pick up U160 cards pretty cheap on EBay. You would need an adapter as well but that might be the best way to go.

Do the card/driver/OS combinations tested work with any other SCSI device (scanner, drive or whatever)? If yes, I'd call support if I were you, as that obviously is a flaw in Silverfast. If no, forget about Win7 and get yourself some computer to run XP on.

Yes the hardware was working well otherwise. Support could not help. I just would like to use a reliable machine to run my scanner and not another outdated computer/no longer supported hardware/software when investing 1500€ in software!

Was anybody able to operate the Tango with Win7 32/64bit?