Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Heidelberg Tango + Win 7 x64

Re: Heidelberg Tango + Win 7 x64

I don't understand the issue of an outdated device-software chain that has proven its reliability and functionality over the years. The whole chain might be outdated but they work. Why would someone like to adapt an outdated machine, outdated software (paying enormous 1500 Euro doesn't meen that you get an up-to-date software) and protocol to a new computer and state of the art operating system? Even if you get it running - there is nobody who assures you that it is still working after the next os update.

If outdated and missing support is a concern to you, you may look for a different scanner. If you need spare parts: good luck. A new mainboard just set me back about 3000 Euro and I was very happy to find one (otherwise it would have been a 350 kg paperweight). Service is covered by Karl. He is a great guy but single source - if something happens to him, many people may find themself in big, big trouble.

I also tried to replace the G4 with the G5 (in order to reduce noise level) but failed. Others have reported success with the following combination:
    Dual 2 GHz PowerPC G5 and OSX 10.5.8
    Adaptec 29160N for Mac

You may also get in touch with:
    DVS Service AG * | http://www.dvs.ch
    Brakensiek | http://www.brakensiek.de
    Karl Hudson | http://www.hudsongrafik.com

* As far as I remember Mario had a customer who ran the Tango successfully on a Mac Mini (no Intel) with the use of a Ratok adapter.

Good luck.

The scanner preceded XP, you are actually lucky you aren't required to maintain a computer capable of running Mac OS 7.5 or Windows 95 for it (or worse, old Unix workstations). I own several bits of hardware tied to computers of that age...

G4 PPC 1.5GHz with dual boot and both NC & LC - rock solid and plenty fast for whatever Tango sends in. Use it for scanning only and transfer your files to your modern PC over TCP. Buy another G4 for $100 and spend the rest on film and processing to keep your Tango running.

SergeyT.

Thanks so far

The G4 is simply too slow (it also crashes when trying to transfer data to an USB-stick and handling Newcolor, sometimes it crashes Newcolor on it's own) and really old hardware but I am considering building an industrial-grade PC (mainboard, fanless, SLC-SSD...) with Win XP 32Bit.

But Lasersoft claims that it works with Win7 (the only OS that works with my current workhorse) - has nobody accomplished to reproduce that?

Quote Originally Posted by georgl View Post
    But Lasersoft claims that it works with Win7 (the only OS that works with my current workhorse) - has nobody accomplished to reproduce that?
    I long ago gave up on Silverfast - their licensing model and GUI both being rather unpleasant. But I have no issues with Saphir Ultra II with Vuescan under Win7 64bit, using a Adaptec 29160. But odd scanners that require a special driver never updated after their market introduction frequently will not work in recent OS versions - you'd better consider them and a contemporary computer with the matching OS a closed system that has to be used (and preserved) in its entity. My scan backs require me to run Win98 respectively Mac OS 7.5.

Sorry to sidetrack your post, but this should be a sticky post for all the people who said, "don't buy a flatbed/Imacon/... because drum scanners are easier to use"

Quote Originally Posted by richardman View Post
    Sorry to sidetrack your post, but this should be a sticky post for all the people who said, "don't buy a flatbed/Imacon/... because drum scanners are easier to use"
    You can run into the same issues with a flatbed. Or rather, you probably already will if your intention is to use them with a current computer and the latest Mac OS or Win 8.1 - SCSI support is crumbling on all fronts, both hardware and software.

Well, the only slow part in G4 is USB which is 1.x. Use network instead.
    It is not recommended to use computer driving the scanner for anything else when scanner is running. Consider it as part of your scanner. Even a slightest delay caused by side activity may and likely will interrupt the normal SCSI data flow and the scanning process will have to be restarted(after Force Quit of the NC process). Probably that is the reason for NC hangs and crashes.
    Once started, let the scanner finish the batch completely, then start the file transfer over the network while you mount another set of images onto the drum.

Quote Originally Posted by Sevo View Post
    You can run into the same issues with a flatbed. Or rather, you probably already will if your intention is to use them with a current computer and the latest Mac OS or Win 8.1 - SCSI support is crumbling on all fronts, both hardware and software.
    Yes, no modern flatbed use SCSI, which is the point. Most modern scanners are supported by Vuescan, which is also the point. In any case, I applaud people who spend times to "get the max," after all, this is why we lug around a 4x5 and up large format camera, so that we can "get the max." Just don't claim "oh it's not that much harder to use than Epson V7xx" because it is.

I would repeat that I write compilers for a living. I know computers inside and out - I have vi commands and regexp memorized on my finger tips. I can even write find commands without doing a "man find" most of the time, but not most people. Using smb:: on a Mac to transfer files over to a Windows machine may sound like a child's play to you, but not everybody LF users is that comfortable with computers.

Yes, no modern flatbed use SCSI, which is the point.
    But there is no professional modern flatbed scanner with a transparency unit - all remaining photo scanners except for the Hasselblad Flextights are prosumer grade, or not even that. Where a Epson V7xx will do as a substitute for a Tango, you might just as well have bypassed LF altogether and used a Nikon D750 to start with...

Using smb:: on a Mac to transfer files over to a Windows machine may sound like a child's play to you, but not everybody LF users is that comfortable with computers.
    Back when that scanner and its computer environment were current, transferring files via SMB (or the Internet) to the client was rarely feasible. The scanner operator would copy the file to Syquest, Zip or CD-R for sneakernet transfer to the postpro desk. If you want no dependency on dead or dying media, you can even install a PCI USB2 card in a G4 Mac, to use a USB sneakernet. In any case, there are plenty of ways around being bothered with the chores of maintaining LAN compatibility with legacy computers.