Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Heidelberg Tango + Win 7 x64

Re: Heidelberg Tango + Win 7 x64

I am wondering if it is possible to save the files directly onto a NAS bypassing or in addition to the G4 HDD. I haven't found the option in New Color yet.

So the claim of Lasersoft that Silverfast works on Win7 was never checked by anyone?

I will keep the G4 running but would be thankful for any configuration tips regarding Tango + Silverfast and any SCSI-device (Adaptec, Ratoc...)

Georgi, I know you don't like hearing this, but I think your best bet is to get your G4 working properly and stick with Newcolor.

If your G4 is crashing all the time, there's something wrong and it should be fixable. Most likely it's something to do with the configuration. Much less likely is an actual hardware problem. I have one running a Tango, and the computer is never the bottleneck (only my scanning skills.)

Almost any G4 is faster than the scanner. If you need more speed getting the files out onto a hard drive you can install a pci card with fast USB, Firewire 800 and eSATA. And they're cheap.

G4's are robust machines and are as reliable as any, and more reliable than most. In the US they are also widely available and inexpensive. I don't know about where you are.

If you don't know the voodoo that makes a G4 run smoothly you probably should find someone who does. It's not that hard, and once set up it will be rock steady. We can do it right here on the forum if you prefer.
    Paul Stubblebine
    serious student

I love snobby people. I am sure there are other people who said if you use ANY scanner not not do optical enlargement, you might as well use an Instamatic. With that, I am out of this thread. So funny.

Quote Originally Posted by georgl View Post
    So the claim of Lasersoft that Silverfast works on Win7 was never checked by anyone?

I will keep the G4 running but would be thankful for any configuration tips regarding Tango + Silverfast and any SCSI-device (Adaptec, Ratoc...)
    Georgl, I just read about your problems with stability running a G4. I was troubled by the same instability. Random crashes and NewColor exiting. Nothing more frustrating than returning eight hours later just to find NewColor exited after the first two scans. This went on for nearly a year so that I used the WinXP version of NewColor in the meantime for large scanning runs. In my case, I noticed a considerable heat buildup in my G4 during operation. I remove the outer plastic shell on the backside of the G4 and installed a large diameter fan directly on the punctuated chassis, sucking warm air out of the case just behind the CPU assembly. It is driven by 5V power supply from inside. Since then, about half a year, the G4 and NewColor have performed flawlessly without a crash during scanning. Totally realiable.

In addition, I took two of three installed hard disk off power to reduce heat buildup in general and ease the load on the internal power supply. I just need one HDD anyway.

Best wishes,
    Christian