Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: arca 171 vs 141

Re: arca 171 vs 141

Hi Emmanuel.Do you know now produce Arca Swiss lens plate 171x171,1 ? I'm waiting this board more than 3 months from the Arca Shop.de.
    Best Regards Aleksandr.

you know now produce Arca Swiss lens plate 171x171

Hi !
    Actually since I do not use those boards, I have absolutely no idea.
    The best is to directly place a phone call to people who know and check for actual availability.
    Including your dealer, from whom you ordered the items, he should know
    Either call Rod Klukas (for our Northern American readers) or to directly Arca Swiss International in Besançon, France (+33 381 854 060) people are fluent in several languages, including English, French, Hochdeutsch and Schwytzertütsch

Dave Karp

Lots of ARCA Swiss 171 lensboards turn up on EBay. There is also a seller in China selling them. I have purchased Technika type boards from that seller and they are fine quality. I also purchased a 171 flat ARCA type board which I never saw because it went directly to someone who is working on a project for me. I do know from conversation that it fits my 171 format frame.

Thank you Emmanuel, I'll call to Arca Swiss International.

Quote Originally Posted by MilamBardo View Post
    Neil, what about bellows with the 171 frame? Is it still possible to buy these new, or would you have to go through custombellows?
    Sorry for the delayed response. I just this evening saw your post.

The choice of 171mm bellows depends on what lenses you own, or plan to own. If your lenses aren't any longer than 360mm, the synthetic bag bellows and the standard bellows will work fine. I keep pretty close tabs on EBay Arca stuff, and these two bellows come up for sale on a pretty regular basis. (Especially the bag bellows.)

If you plan to have lenses longer than 360mm, then you will need the 700mm bellows. (For example, the standard bellows will not work for a 450mm Nikkor M.) In this case, for lenses between 75mm and 180mm, I like the Arca leather, pleated bag bellows. I use a recessed, reduction lensboard, and this bellows works well in this range. I like the pleats, because they help control internal reflections for longer lenses. (The pleated bag bellows might also work for a 210mm lens, but not having one, I can't say for sure.) Not that I would favor form over function (of course), but the pleated, leather bag bellows really looks slick on the camera. I've seen both of these bellows come up for sale on EBay, but not often. I bought mine new many years ago, and both are still in excellent condition. Having these two bellows, I never use the standard bellows that I bought along the way.

For lenses shorter than 75mm, like a 58 or 55mm, I would suggest the synthetic, non-pleated bag bellows, with about a 1" recessed lensboard. Even with a recessed lensboard, the pleated, leather bag bellows gets a bit cramped in this range.

I have lenses that range between 47mm and 600mm. I sold my Arca synthetic, non-pleated bag bellows with an extra Classic F that I had. At some point, I plan to purchase another of these. So, I will have the pleated and non-pleated bag bellows, and the 700mm long bellows. In this extended range, another combination that would work just fine (assuming a 1" recessed lensboard), would be the non-pleated, synthetic bag bellows, the standard bellows, and the long bellows. This triplet would also be easier to find.

As for lens boards, I would recommend getting a recessed, reduction lensboard, and using that for all your lenses. (Mine's recessed about 1".) For example, I've seen Arca recessed, reduction lensboards for the much smaller Linhof Technika boards.

While relatively expensive, you could also consider mounting your lenses on Arca 110mm, medium format lensboards. These come recessed, so in this case, you would not need a recessed, reduction lensboard. However, if the 110mm Arca lensboards were my choice, I would try to find the original, Arca, 171 to 110mm reduction lensboard. While quite rare on the used market, this was very well made.

As to your query about Custom Bellows, you might consider them for a long, 700mm bellows, if needed. Their work is excellent. But, I would first try to find the original Arca version.

Another side issue, is the choice of rails, depending on your range of lenses. But, that's probably another thread.