Thread: lens cleaning

lens cleaning

For my 35mm I usually use a clear filter and clean that. and if I do need to clean outside lens element. I blow off really well and with one drop cleaning solution on tissue a work my way from center of glass to edge, then blow off again.

just wondering if with LF it is same? Some of the elements come apart on LF lenses. is it ok to take them apart to clean inside?

thx

Re: lens cleaning

The key is to clean your lenses as little as possible. This helps eliminate the possibility of scratching the coatings. If you keep UV or clear filters on them for protection then you only really get them dirty when changing from the protective filter to another filter. Usually all you need to do is blow off any dust after you get home. Using a drop of cleaning solution on a lens tissue is fine but only do this if there is a smudge on the lens. Why clean a clean lens? I like the lens cleaning cloths better than the lens tissues myself but both work.

Removing the lens cells from the shutter is not a problem but you don't need to do this all the time. You might check them after shooting in an area where the wind is blowing a lot of dust.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Gales View Post
    The key is to clean your lenses as little as possible. This helps eliminate the possibility of scratching the coatings. If you keep UV or clear filters on them for protection then you only really get them dirty when changing from the protective filter to another filter. Usually all you need to do is blow off any dust after you get home. Using a drop of cleaning solution on a lens tissue is fine but only do this if there is a smudge on the lens. Why clean a clean lens? I like the lens cleaning cloths better than the lens tissues myself but both work.

Removing the lens cells from the shutter is not a problem but you don't need to do this all the time. You might check them after shooting in an area where the wind is blowing a lot of dust.
    sure. cleaning as little as possible. I have some LF lenses that have been setting in a cabinet for the past 30 years and need a good cleaning...

I used to use 80 grit sandpaper on mine until I discovered that Sandblasters work better

I've seen UV filters cause nasty reflections with just about any light source.
    It may be fine with digital or cheap film but you may want to avoid that situation at $5+ a shot.

Well, if you don't take the lenses apart chances are you won't need to clean the insides. I treat them just like 35mm lenses---gently.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Dear mkp - the OP (original poster)!

The forum is split into subject sections. Posting this in either "lenses" or "DIY" would have been more appropriate than in "Cameras".

Taking a large format lens apart regularly is, in my view, a good investment in "thread servicing" even if the inside of lenses are clean.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Tribe View Post
    Dear mkp - the OP (original poster)!

The forum is split into subject sections. Posting this in either "lenses" or "DIY" would have been more appropriate than in "Cameras".

Taking a large format lens apart regularly is, in my view, a good investment in "thread servicing" even if the inside of lenses are clean.
    Thanks Steven, I didn't realize there was split of groups. thx