Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Starting out, where to buy gear?

Starting out, where to buy gear?

Hi
    I'm new here.
    I've been shooting DSLR for at long time, but I want to get into analog and medium format photography, delveoping film etc, I miss all that.
    So step one is getting a camera
    Where do you go to buy camera gear?
    Is ebay really the best source of used camera gear?
    I see the same camera in the same condition but one is 5 times the price of the other.

Just like we try hard to justify buying a Porche "well if the baby cries and needs milk, I'll be back faster with a Porche than with a Toyota " I've tried to justify a Hasselblad, but I really couldn't.

I'm thinking of getting a TLR, they are pretty cheap, the quality of images is good, and I think they look cool as well.
    I'd like to keep it under 400 USD

Anyway, where do you buy your gear?
    Ebay?
    What would you start out with?

I do landscape and some street photography, some macro

Michael

Cordless Bungee Jumper Sirius Glass's Avatar

Re: Starting out, where to buy gear?

Check out www.keh.com
    I have brought cameras and lenses from them for years. They have a generous return policy which iirc is 60 day return without a reason. They take the risk out of internet camera purchases. Ever try to return an item on eBay?
    Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Les

You can get some good prices on CL sometimes, but you have to be pretty savvy as to being able to determine what sorts of condition the item is....not necessarily the same as the person is claiming. All around, I'd say KEH is your best bet.

Les

The better TLR cameras usually produce fine images, but are inconvenient for macro photography. Older Yashica TLR models with the Yashinon lens may lack some of the unnecessary conveniences of the later and more expensive Yashicas. This doesn't affect image quality. Rollies and probably some of the Japanese brands may be built better.

The trading forum on this site is a good online source for cameras. It will be available a month after one becomes a forum member. I often rely on ebay, but this is after many years experience in photography. Ebay ads sometimes require product knowledge and close scrutiny to avoid problems.

For MF I'd second the TLR options.
    For LF, (This is the LF forum), I'd suggest cheap as many cameras are specialized and may not be the direction you need. A $100 range monorail or speed graphic with a a $100 lens as long as the shutter is reliable. Sell it when you want something more specific and have learned the basics if you need the cash.
    If you're not out in the woods somewhere, craigslist can provide many cameras that you can try before you buy as long as you are patient for them to show up.

I've done well buying gear on this site and on Craigslist. 100% of my large format gear and some of my darkroom gear has been sourced through these channels.

For a medium format recommendation, look at the Mamiya RB67. All mechanical, so no electronics to worry about. Great lenses. Film backs need rebuilding when old so if going this route be sure to inspect the backs or buy ones that you are pretty sure are as new as possible or rebuilt. The RZ67 is its newer electronic cousin. Very clever mousetrap and a camera I would like to have. I have not wanted to venture into the electronics however. The RZ also has great lenses.

Downside with the RB and RZ is weight. They are hefty pieces, and make great images.

Hi Michael,

Happy New Year!

Despite all the issues people say they encounter on Fleabay, I personally have had good luck securing most of my LF equipment there. Most camera shops in my area only deal with the ubiquitous DSLR parts & pieces, and I have never found anything on CL, except a high-end Nikon camera which turned out to be a scam. I would recommend asking questions on a couple of forums, this one and another, depending on where you live. Another good one is the Mid-West Large Format Asylum.

Good luck!

BH Photo and Adorama are two big NY stores that have extensive used departments that are also worth checking out.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

I usually buy from KEH, MPEX or eBay.

Welcome aboard!
    The only large format TLRs I know of are the ones Peter Gowland built. There probably aren't a lot of those round. If you want a medium format TLR I'd suggest looking at Mamiya 330, the Rolleiflex and Rolleicords. After a set time you'll be able to access the for sale area here. Also check out local pawn shops as well as camera dealers like Keh, Midwest Photo Exchange, etc...merchants who specialize in really good used merchandise and have trusted return policies. If you want a little more of a gamble, check out the auction at Goodwill Industries, or---gulp---eBay.
    Good luck & good light!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White