Thanks for all the advice everyone. Good information all around.

Quote Originally Posted by mdarnton View Post
What they both said. Any parts you buy to turn this camera into the camera you really wanted are going to cost, total, more than the camera you wanted. On Ebay, the usual price for a Graflok back, for instance, is $125. That's why I suggested in the other thread that you should buy a total camera, even if you had to wait for it. Which you didn't do. :-)

Now you have a Speed Graphic that isn't one, but is bigger and heavier than the Crown, without the shutter that causes the extra size and weight, without the right back. Bail.
I thought about that seriously but in the end decided that I didn't want to get a complete camera. If I decide to refinish the wood, I won't feel bad about it given the age and condition of the leather. I don't really need a Graflok back because I'll still have to rotate the camera sideways for portraits and I have an RB67 that works excellently for roll film, so have no real need to shoot 6x7 or even 6x9. The Grafmatic I understand will fit fine underneath the spring back and the lens I want to use with this will more than likely be in the 210-240 range so having a lens with it would be something I'd just have to sell separately.

I've still got a ways to go in setting up a workflow that's going to work for me in both MF and LF. I'm sure this is not the last of my LF purchases.