Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Going to Great North

Re: Going to Great North

when you say 'near Inuvik' where exactly do you mean ? There's not much unless you go up to Tuk or south to Fort McPherson etc..

Won't repeat what's been said about film but if your cameras are very cold, bag them before taking them inside as they'll fog up and dew over asap. Taking gear from a warm interior to outside has never presented a problem for me in the Arctic, it's always a prob outside --> inside if you don't bag or cover your cameras.

and while daylight will be in short supply or non existent, I find the light to be absolutely beautiful in the winter in the Arctic. It'll be dusk for the most part so think soft colours.

If the opportunity is there (and it will in most cases) do try some of the country food. I couldn't get enough of the boiled Beluga mukluk when I was up there earlier this year.

I envy your trip to the Canadian Arctic like you have no idea
    notch codes ? I only use one film...

Les

Although I've been in -40F down here in the lower 48, yet the chill factor was -80. Judging by Prudhoe Bay conditions (and Inuvik is on the same level) take a pick on "-" temp and chill factor can reach to -120 up there....do we have instruments that would read these crazy temps ? Just saying... As Jac indicated, getting your shutters prepped for the cold is essential, unless you intend to do this via drive-by thing...opening the window ? Anyway, I'd contact Flutot's or SK Grimes for that. 'Geographic has done many arctic excursions and their eq was always prepped appropriately....using proper oils in shutters. Yet, you are also (likely) facing the reverse, when you return to (X location) you'll need to have the lube in the shutter appropriated for more mild temps. Furthermore, the film becomes more brittle in prolonged cold...whether it's 35mm or LF.

Anyway, don't bank on global warming up there....I just looked up and it's -26F up there. Don't wish to sound like a nay sayer, but most of the vehicles that operate up there require two elect. plugs to hook up, otherwise the reality creeps in and it's not feasible to turn the vehicle over till next May.

Hope you prep well and good luck.

Les

Quote Originally Posted by Leszek Vogt View Post
    Although I've been in -40F down here in the lower 48, yet the chill factor was -80. Judging by Prudhoe Bay conditions (and Inuvik is on the same level) take a pick on "-" temp and chill factor can reach to -120 up there....do we have instruments that would read these crazy temps ? Just saying...

Les
    Although it is highly unlikely that the chill factor could be -120 by the old or new method, half that would kill in a couple minutes. Scary for this tropical Minnesota kinda guy. For part of my military years we were issued the real deal arctic parkas, bib pants, huge gauntlet mittens with wool gloves beneath and big inflatable white Mickey Mouse boots. We wore one layer of light underwear underneath because it got so hot in there even if it was like working on the moon.

Moon - Inuvik is colder today than the mean average temp of the moon. True! Gotta think about that.

Les

Jac, I just looked up P. Bay (Deadhorse, AK) and here it's what it says....

"Official Lowest Wind Chill Factor: 28th of January,1989 - Temp of minus 54 degrees F and Wind speed of 31 knots (36 mph) - Gave a chill factor of minus 135 degrees F."

Anyway, as I was told the -110 chill factor is bit more common. The lowest temp in AK reached to -82F (+/-1 degree)....and there even is a monument where this was measured: Coldfoot, AK or 250 miles North of Fairbanks.

Deadhorse, much like Inuvik, it's an oil excavation village and pretty much all the operations are designed to take place inside....with few exceptions. I was totally blown away at the facility. Imagine, an oval track for running, whole array of gym machines, etc. I was there on June 3rd and it was 32F deg. - shorts weather.

Les

Quote Originally Posted by Leszek Vogt View Post
    Jac, I just looked up P. Bay (Deadhorse, AK) and here it's what it says....

"Official Lowest Wind Chill Factor: 28th of January,1989 - Temp of minus 54 degrees F and Wind speed of 31 knots (36 mph) - Gave a chill factor of minus 135 degrees F."
    Yep, that would be right for 1989. The wind chill factor formula was changed in about 2001 so that would be a balmy -102 today. The new formula is more refined, simpler, as if knowing that would give us warm fuzzies.

Deadhorse, much like Inuvik, it's an oil excavation village and pretty much all the operations are designed to take place inside....with few exceptions. I was totally blown away at the facility. Imagine, an oval track for running, whole array of gym machines, etc. I was there on June 3rd and it was 32F deg. - shorts weather.
    Shorts weather! We have two universities and a college in this small town. Like forever young. Students start wearing shorts at about 30F. I quit riding bicycle when it hits 20F if its dry. I probably look like an astronaut on a space walk for the gear I wear.

Thank you all for your responses ! I received the GS645 yesterday so i'll look into all of this

To Fred L : I'm going to Tuk actually and don't worry about the cold and being alone in the tundra because i'll be living at a friend's house who lives and works there so I'll be well advised !

bring some tim hortons doughnuts when you head up and you'll be golden lol. enjoy your trip, can't repeat it enough but an Arctic winter is beautiful. we'll be waiting for photos
    notch codes ? I only use one film...

Of course, with much pleasure !

So about the Optar 135, maybe you advise me to buy a more recent lens? Like a fuji or nikkor?

Your film will be fine. Your gear however, may or may not be.

When shooting in -30c, oil and greases can gum up. Modern synthetic lubricants should solve that problem I would think.

Adhesives can fail. Plastic film holders and darkslides will become brittle. When I'm shooting in the cold with older cameras like my Graflex Speed Graphic, my bellows are always a worry for me. That and the shutter.

Just go slow.

Ok, I'll go to my photo shop this afternoon and inquire. But the thing is I live in Brussels, Belgium so the guy may not be aware of what needs to be done, I'll see.. (we get -5°C for the coldest so..).
    Anyway, do you have some clothes you would advise? I think I'll take some silk under glove (I don't know if it's the right term), then thin gloves and some mittens that I'll buy in Vancouver. By the way, does anyone have any stores to advise there? I know I ask a lot of questions but it's really hard to get any opinions on those shops, and they are many !

Thank you for everything else !

Téo