Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Schneider no longer manufacturing analog lenses?

Les

Re: Schneider no longer manufacturing analog lenses?

With some tlc these used lenses will continue to perform. Here I am, it's 2017 and I made my very first purchase on the ebay....wooohoo...it was a 12" Kodak Commercial (to fit 5x7) and the description said in essence that the shutter was in the toilet. The price was quite reasonable. Great! But, I was patient and called the place (asking pertinent questions), who had the lens and I realized that I was heading in the right direction. Somehow I won the bid by $6.... huh ?) and the lens was in an EXCELLENT shape, just what the guy told me over the phone. It was worth refurbishing the shutter (called about that too, before I plunked the cash down). Knowing the shutter speeds, I mean even if they are some % off, I feel I got a wonderfully functional lens (maybe not quite new), except I ended up paying 3-4 times less than the going prices.....can't get those new, well....urrr, unless from a collector.

Les

Solution to the vintage or whacky shutter problem for other than modern wide angle lenses, good condition, calibrated Sinar shutter. Better yet, two known good and calibrated Sinar shutters. One to use, the other as a spare.

This route pretty much solves the problem of shutter speed differences between lenses in shutter and allows most any optic that can be fitted to a Sinar or similar size lens board to be used on a view camera.

Optics when properly cared for tend to endue and remain serviceable for an awful long time. Given this reality, used optics in tested good for performance is a very viable way to put together a set of working lenses.

Bernice

I've been thinking about this as this whole thread has unfolded -- and I can understand why people are anxious about a lack of new components entering the LF / Analog 'ecosystem'. But I don't think it's something to panic about. I'm amazed at how much creativity we've seen from people using modern, low-cost fabrication techniques to launch new products into this space (not the lens/shutter space, but the general sheet film world). It's happened first in the darkroom/processing space because the closure of many high-volume labs created an obvious and real need. Shutters are of course fairly complex but accessible machining and manufacturing get better and cheaper by the year.

I have no doubt that as supplies of shutters in good condition inevitably run down, we will see similar creativity and small, nimble businesses springing up to fill the niche. They won't be the same as the Copals and Compurs we're used to, but they will let us control exposure, so yay.

Fretting won't solve the problem. If you are worried, learn to use a CAD program and design something new -- it might just be what everyone else it waiting for.

Quote Originally Posted by Professional View Post
    i only buy brand new gear...
    Why?

There are tons of good used cameras and lenses/shutters out there.

Back when LF stuff was made, quality was everything.
    Buyers stressed quality above all else, and manufacturers complied.

You can find plenty of 75-year-old shutters that will still perform as new after a routine CLA.

And glass doesn't degrade of its own volition, only courtesy of the attention of clueless shooters.

You'll be very hard-pressed to find modern equipment that matches the build quality of vintage gear.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by Leigh View Post
    Why?

There are tons of good used cameras and lenses/shutters out there.

Back when LF stuff was made, quality was everything.
    Buyers stressed quality above all else, and manufacturers complied.

You can find plenty of 75-year-old shutters that will still perform as new after a routine CLA.

And glass doesn't degrade of its own volition, only courtesy of the attention of clueless shooters.

You'll be very hard-pressed to find modern equipment that matches the build quality of vintage gear.

- Leigh
    I should say i only buy brand new when i can have enough good budget and when most gear are available as brand new, but if not good budget and no more brand new gear then i have no choice but to go with used gear.

I just prefer to have budget lose headache more than used gear conditions headache, as long i am paying money no doubt so i better spend once even so high than spending less and then i have to spend later if something wrong, i bought many many brand new gear and i never feel headache, bought some used gear and still happy, but nothing that beat the impression getting brand new and you unboxing it and have all included accessories and manual and whatever.

LF lenses come with or need manuals? :-)

Quote Originally Posted by locutus View Post
    And you only caught me saying manual?

Also lens caps, some used gear i mean lenses aren't coming with caps, it is maybe not a big deal for some, but i don't like to leave any of my glasses without caps front and rear, and sometimes it is a headache to buy the proper caps for Lf lenses that aren't coming on some standard sizes mostly rear.

Anyway, i will buy used if my budget is low and the item is out of production, and i will buy brand new only if the item is still in production and i have high budget, no hard there and it is my money, i spent so big in the past, and if i can again why not, if i can't then as you all says i can go with used easily if available.

Quote Originally Posted by locutus View Post
    Oh, please do not be coy!

All instructions ignore the fact that the ground glass image is upside-down! When will they fix that?

Quote Originally Posted by Professional View Post
    Also lens caps, some used gear i mean lenses aren't coming with caps, it is maybe not a big deal for some, but i don't like to leave any of my glasses without caps front and rear, and sometimes it is a headache to buy the proper caps for Lf lenses that aren't coming on some standard sizes mostly rear.
    I've bought almost 30 LF lenses with shutters. They all had the original caps, and everything in excellent condition.

In all cases, you receive what you bought.

Read the descriptions and make sure they're accurate. Buy only from reputable sellers. It ain't rocket science.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by Leigh View Post
    I've bought almost 30 LF lenses with shutters. They all had the original caps, and everything in excellent condition.

In all cases, you receive what you bought.

Read the descriptions and make sure they're accurate. Buy only from reputable sellers. It ain't rocket science.

- Leigh
    That if i can trust the seller and it is in my mother language, so if i can't check out accurately or can't find out full details or if the seller isn't honest all these issues aren't helping for sure.

Anyway, i apologize many times because i keep mentioning brand new all the time, sounds it is not a good idea to bring it many times.

I hope i can start LF as soon as possible when the situations allow.