Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Darkroom tent

Darkroom tent

What are some options when looking for a darkroom tent for film developing only? I've looked at the Nova Portable Darkroom Tent and while it fits my needs it's just too expensive for what it is...I've thought about checking out a grow tent but the silver lining inside made me think it might not be suitable for film developing.

I do have access to 2 photo labs where I can develop my own film but I don't like developing my own film where I work. Too many possibilities for distractions or interruptions. All I'm looking for in a darkroom tent is the ability to enter the tent with enough space for a fold out table to work on and a stool chair to sit on. I'm unable to develop sheet film in my bathroom because it's literally way too small. The Nova tent might actually be bigger than my actual bathroom lol.

I currently have a Fuji FD12 changing tent that barely works for 8x10 film developing but it gets really hot inside after a few minutes. There's also only space for (x3) 8x10 trays in vertical position with (x1) 8x10 tray in horizontal position on top. Enough for pre-wash, developer, water stop, and fix but I struggle with the small left over space for pulling my film out from a box/holder to start developing.

Anyone have an ideas on what I might be able to use? Again, preferably something with space for a table and chair inside.

Thanks!

Re: Darkroom tent

Wow, I haven't used a walk-in dark-tent since developing glass plates during the Civil War. ;-)

Bathroom-wise, how small is too small?

Back in the '60s, after getting out of the army, I lived in a two-story apartment that had a half bath downstairs. There was room enough for a small sink and a toilet, along with enough space for the door to swing into the room. Between the toilet and the opposite wall, however, the door space left enough room for a small utility cabinet to be rolled in. A couple of L-brackets on the side of the cabinet allowed a piece of 3/4" ply to be placed on them and the top of the toilet tank. That surface provided enough room for three 11x14 trays on the plywood panel, and room for an enlarger on the cabinet top.

It did heat up quickly, particularly when printing. But it sufficed for a while.

When you walk in my bathroom it goes (left side) toilet, sink, then stand up shower.

If you're up against the wall on the right it's about an arms length to the toilet and sink, and the stand up shower is only an arms length (square space).

Unless you live on an airplane, it seems like a bathroom could be functional.

I have a killzone ice fishing tent that would be big enough for a small darkroom and would be easy to lightproof (just a couple tiny windows)

I have an ice fishing tent but prefer to keep that just for wet plate collodion use. (kind of stinks indoors)

Would a grow tent be a bad idea? I know it has reflective lining inside and I'd have to use lightproof material over the zippers, but if it's just for developing 8x10 film should it be ok? Wish I could get a Nova tent but it's like $800US

If it is light tight it doesn't matter what color the inside is. BUT - Be sure there is a method to adequately ventilate it.
    As for necessary size of a darkroom, I once had one in a space 30" x5' in which I had a medium format enlarger and a 5x7 inch one. Stacked tray were the answer. As far as I am concerned almost any space is large enough.

Jobo?

I got a Nova tent second hand for much less than retail, it is worth looking.

Justin Cormack - If you don't mind me asking how much did you pay for the Nova tent second hand?

Don't know if this is helpful. We have a couple of these at the Santa Fe University of Art and Design for doing wetplate workshops.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GFX71BmuuY
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"