Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Hiking Boots for Plantar Fasciitis

Re: Hiking Boots for Plantar Fasciitis

I wasted much money, and even worse, time, on a podiatrist. What a horrible experience.

I do not recommend hard orthotics for any hiking. After failing to eliminate PF using the molded units, I asked him for soft inserts. They were $20, I purchased two pair, and have never needed another appointment since.

3/4 inserts (can't recall name, starts with an S but not Dr. Scholls, not gel based, cushioned arch) for daily in all my shoes and sneakers (I now wear 1/2 size larger than normal to address the cushioned inserts), and Asolo boots without the interest have eliminated virtually all of the horrible arch pain.

Be forewarned, it does however change your gait. You can tell if it is working if your shoe soles and heels wear evenly. I used to go through heels and soles in 3 months. Now its closer to 9 months, and it is evenly disbursed.

The problem I have is occasional but very painful cramping in my calf and my feet at night after heavy hiking. So there is a tradeoff but well worth it.

The weight of the equipment exacerbates the problem, especially when you have what's called "flexible flat feet" which is where your feet are very thin, the arch buckling under heavy weight of cameras.

Insole recommended by my Podiatrist was Spenco.

Good luck.

PDM

Thanks everybody for your suggestions. My wife is a ballet dancer and has taught me some stretching and strengthening exercises that have helped tremendously. I am hoping that it won't be necessary for me to take more drastic measures, although if I need to I will talk to my doctor. My regular shoes are not so much a problem for me, but my hiking boots are a disaster—they aggravate my PF as soon as I put them on and are very painful. I don not need serious boots as I'm not backpacking or carrying a lot of weight for long distances. I just want something that I can scrabble around in the mud with and do relatively simple and short hikes. The Vasque boots I've been wearing for many years were great, but not so much any more. I guess I'll get to the REI nearby and try on what they have and see what feels best. Wish me luck!

Richard Wasserman

https://www.rwasserman.com/

Number of years ago developed a extremely painful case of PF from running. Got to the point where I would have to stretch in bed for approx 15 min before I could even walk in the morning. Ended up seeing a podiatrist who fitted me with custom orthotics, prescribed a night splint and PT three times per week. All three combined helped with the pain but even after 6 weeks was still unable to get back to running. While at PT one of the therapist indicated that a patient of his had success using barefoot shoes. Investigated and ended up buying a pair of Five Finger barefoot shoes by Viabrim. Felt strange at first and you need to slowly break your legs into wearing them as it's very easy to overdo. Within a couple of weeks wearing them and doing low impact cardio all pain had gone away. Pretty much wore them anytime I was not actually in the office instead of my running shoes or loafers. After about 4 weeks was completely pain free and back to running hour at least three times per week. I feel that the barefoot shoes really did strengthen my lower leg and the change from a heel strike to forefoot eliminated the jarring impact. It's been over 4 years now and have not had one bit of pain, continue to run 12-15 miles per week both on the treadmill and outdoor on trails. Now have several pairs of Five Finger's including one that I use when I go on day hikes. Number of the personal trainers at the gym are now wearing them, as well as other manufacturers bringing out there form of minimilist shoe. Wife also tried them and now it's the only thing she will wear when running or working out at the gym.

regards

Acupuncture.
    My 15yr old vasques are still going strong but they don't make this pair any more.

Drew Wiley

Vasque, Raichle, all kinds of things were actual serious European-made boots at one time. Now they're just labels on more disposable Chinese stuff. Wear 'em,
    wear 'em out, and then throw em away, cause you can't resole em. Or in my case, a suitable fit doesn't even exist.

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

here's another Drew boot to consider: http://www.onlineshoes.com/Mens-drew...adtrack=criteo

Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Vasque, Raichle, all kinds of things were actual serious European-made boots at one time. Now they're just labels on more disposable Chinese stuff. Wear 'em,
    wear 'em out, and then throw em away, cause you can't resole em. Or in my case, a suitable fit doesn't even exist.
    That is one reason, besides making the pain go away, why I like the Mephitos. I have two pairs of oxfords, 3 pairs of loafers and two pairs of moccasins. Whenever they get even remotely close to needing refurbishing they get sent to whoever the wizards are in San Diego and they come back resoled, new insoles, new laces, new everything! And then are good for another bunch of years! Haven't had to buy new ones in at least 6 or 8 years! And the only thing that they could not do was on one pair of oxfords replace the soles with the original color soles. But the oness they did use were pretty close to the original color!

Far as I know they are still made in the EU. So are the Bally's I have, but they just aren't as comfortable when you have PF.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Wasserman View Post
    Thanks everybody for your suggestions. My wife is a ballet dancer and has taught me some stretching and strengthening exercises that have helped tremendously. I am hoping that it won't be necessary for me to take more drastic measures, although if I need to I will talk to my doctor. My regular shoes are not so much a problem for me, but my hiking boots are a disaster—they aggravate my PF as soon as I put them on and are very painful. I don not need serious boots as I'm not backpacking or carrying a lot of weight for long distances. I just want something that I can scrabble around in the mud with and do relatively simple and short hikes. The Vasque boots I've been wearing for many years were great, but not so much any more. I guess I'll get to the REI nearby and try on what they have and see what feels best. Wish me luck!
    One of the nice thongs about buying shoes at REI is the generous return policy-try them for awhile and if they don't work out return them.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Another vote here for seeing a podiatrist. I was unable to hike more than a few miles before getting fitted for orthotics. The problem was knee-based, not planar fasciitis, but the orthotics has made it possible to backpack as much as the rest of my body can tolerate (about 100 mi. at present). Bottom line is the orthotics changed my life, and with a cost of about $300 and a lifespan of about 10 years, its a no-brainer.

I used to only wear Asics motion control running shoes for around-town, and now I can wear anything. I suspect the boot itself is not that important. I have a pair of Asolos, which I highly recommend, but the tread is not that great. It sucks in icy conditions, and can slip in muddy conditions. Otherwise they are very comfortable.
    Peter Y.