Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Gandolfi 8x10 Precision Folding Instruction and Date Questions...

Re: Gandolfi 8x10 Precision Folding Instruction and Date Questions...

Here are some pictures of the camera, as promised. I include a shot of it nicely folded, proving that I actually learned something. Thanks to all who responded. Very much appreciated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails gandolfi-11.jpg   gandolfi-12.jpg   gandolfi-15.jpg   gandolfi-7.jpg  

Beauty! Looks a lot like mine...

BTW: in all the Gandolfi's I have seen, I have never seen anything marked to date them...

Thanks for the follow-up, Gandolfi. Appreciated. Are you aware of any other indicators that might suggest a rough date? Were there any small design modifications that occurred after a period? It would be nice to know even a possible date range for the camera (like perhaps 1950-1970).

Quote Originally Posted by Dustyman View Post
    Here are some pictures of the camera, as promised. I include a shot of it nicely folded, proving that I actually learned something. Thanks to all who responded. Very much appreciated.
    Oh, man! That's pretty!!

I just bought a Gandolfi as well and they are beautifully made cameras. My version is a whole plate size with a 5 x 7 back, black paint and nickel plated hardware.

It also took me some trial and error to figure out how to fold it up, a little different than a Deardorff. I like the fact you can seat the front standard in two different positions. Though the rear position provides greater stability.

I am sending my camera back to Ed Hill at Gandolfi for service: (New bellows needed and the front focus knob shaft is bent).

I date mine roughly from the 1950s or 60's
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails photo-327.JPG  

That's a very beautiful camera, Scott. Where did you find it? The bellows looks darn good from the picture. Pinholes?
    How did you successfully reach Ed Hill? I've sent multiple emails to see if he has any spare parts i.e. lens boards and backs, but have yet to receive a reply. Are you in the UK?
    How did you date your camera. Is it that the ebony black version wasn't made prior to the '50s?

I'll return the compliment by saying that 8 x 10 Gandolfi you just got in mahogany and lacquered brass is going to garner a lot of attention wherever you go.

I am guessing on the date on my camera. I have a #1 stamped on the inside of my camera as well.... It could be indicating a part number or matching up a camera back. But no clear indication on dating it. Check out the LF thread "Any Gandolfi users out there?"

I made an inquiry on my black Gandolfi on the APUG forum as well as this LF fourm. I received this info on the black Gandolfi versions from Ole Tjugen on APUG.

"Black Gandolfis were often "government issue", they had a large contract for various goverment divisions, all black. The more common "luxury edition" was made in Honduras mahogany, beautifully varnished.

The bellows on mine look good and appear to be light tight but are very stiff and won't compress down, thus I can't fold my camera all the way shut for transport.. There is also an issue with the front focus knob shaft being bent and I can't crank the front rail out. So some age related and impact damage issues that need attention.

I contacted Ed Hill via the Gandolfi website and received a reply within a week. He does have some parts and still does some limited service on the cameras. So I may send him my camera this spring and will report back on how that goes. I am here in the USA and don't look forward on getting a quote on shipping to the UK. It won't be cheap.

I will PM you on the email that I used to contact Ed Hill.

Reaching out for suggestions as to the best way to lubricate this camera. The focusing, especially focusing in via the rear, is tight currently. On hand I have Howard's "Feed n' Wax" (which is beeswax and carnauba), white lithium grease, and a tube of graphite. I've used these with varying degrees of success on Deardorffs. Any suggestions for lubing the Gandolfi?

I think the issue is more than simple lubing. As the rear moves forward, midway towards center of bed, it gets unbearably tough to continue to turn the focus knob. (No, it's not locked)
    Any way to loosing the tension a bit? Not even sure where the issue is. No visible signs of bent pinions etc.

I went ahead a loosened all the small screws on the lower brass side rails 1/2 turn each and that made a distinct difference. I can turn the focusing knob with less force, but I'm thinking it should still be a silkier turn. I am wondering if my studio heating system has caused the wood to swell. It's not humid though, so I have my doubts about that. Although the issue did start during the winter when the heat is on most of the time...