Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Differences in movements - S. Technika V vs Master Technika Classic ?

Differences in movements - S. Technika V vs Master Technika Classic ?

Hello,

I often read in forums (here in Germany) that a Master does have more (larger) movements than a V?

I know the famous flap and that the lens tilt has more degrees (30 vs 15?) in the Master.

But are any other movements besides these also slightly larger in the Master than in the V? Or are all other parts (besides the leather) and the front tilt mechanism identical?

Thanks in advance from good old Linhof Country!

Harald (Owner of a V, a III/1 and two IIs)

Re: Differences in movements - S. Technika V vs Master Technika Classic ?

The latest model, the Master Technika 3000 also has an extra drop position for the bed that allows it to drop 90° so it will not intrude on vertical pictures with 75 and wider lenses. The top flap gives all Master models extra rise with wide angle lenses. The extra drop position is available from a Linhof service centers for some older Master models.
    There are also other differences, beyond movements that differ older models (including old Master Technikas). One obvious difference is on the bed, just behind the focusing knob. On later Master models there is a raised, rectangular, metal block. On older model Technikas that block had two holes to accept a bed mounted cable release that plugged into the bed. However, in the late 70s the manufacturer of that special cable release went out of business and that was the end of that feature. So later models had the holes filled in. Cameras made since the 70s have two turns of spring in the ground glass back arms. Earlier ones had one turn. This means that the width of the opening for the spring on the inside of the newer models are wider then the older models. However, since, at least 1980, the single turn spring is no longer available from the factory and that means that if someone breaks that single turn spring or its arm both arms have to be replaced with the two turn springs and arms.
    Starting with the introduction of the Master Technika 2000 the locking knobs for the back are in a different location then on earlier Technikas. This was originally done to accommodate the IR rangefinder/viewfinder for the 2000 which filled the entire top of the camera. When that finder was recalled the knob placement did not change.

Hello Bob,

thanks for the information.

the current manual of the master says back tilt angle 20 degrees,man old IV manual says 15 degrees. Do you know whta it is like with the V?

The IV manual says for etra shift you tilt lens and back max (each 15 degrees)with raised lens stand and you hav max shift...
    How does this work with a master, if the back allowas 20 degrees? How do you guarantee parallel lens and film when doing this?

the lens tilt is 30 degrees in the master. is there a marked 15 degrees position or do you have to guess?

BTW, behind the focus wheel my V has this light brown plastic cable release holder. Was this normal with the V or an extra acessory?

Quote Originally Posted by Xipho View Post
    Hello Bob,

thanks for the information.

the current manual of the master says back tilt angle 20 degrees,man old IV manual says 15 degrees. Do you know whta it is like with the V?

The IV manual says for etra shift you tilt lens and back max (each 15 degrees)with raised lens stand and you hav max shift...
    How does this work with a master, if the back allowas 20 degrees? How do you guarantee parallel lens and film when doing this?

the lens tilt is 30 degrees in the master. is there a marked 15 degrees position or do you have to guess?

BTW, behind the focus wheel my V has this light brown plastic cable release holder. Was this normal with the V or an extra acessory?
    TheV has less movement then the Master. There is no marked tilt position, other then the neutral click stop. The instructions for rising the standard and tilting front and back are the same.
    That holder was discontinued when the maker of the cable release that fit it went out of business.

Does the Master have new "Sticks" at the back, as Body housing (apart from the flap) and Back itself are equal to the IV or V body, as far as I see...?

Does the Master have new "Sticks" at the back, as Body housing (apart from the flap) and Back itself are equal to the IV or V body, as far as I see...?
    No idea, that is a question for a service center.

Are you asking about the four metal rods that can be adjusted and locked in place for rear tilt and swing?

Tangentially related - my Master has the 3-position bed, I assume at 0, 15, and 30 degrees. If I want to use the RF it can only be dropped to 15 degrees or else the cam bends/binds, right? If using the back tilt to "correct" the lens to parallel, there is no "stop" at 15 degrees - so it's impossible to get the lens parallel quickly or efficiently. Or am I missing something?
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    Tangentially related - my Master has the 3-position bed, I assume at 0, 15, and 30 degrees. If I want to use the RF it can only be dropped to 15 degrees or else the cam bends/binds, right? If using the back tilt to "correct" the lens to parallel, there is no "stop" at 15 degrees - so it's impossible to get the lens parallel quickly or efficiently. Or am I missing something?
    The instruction book specifically states that when you drop the bed you must remove the cam first, then replace it after the bed is positioned where you want it. Not doing this will bend the cam. A Linhof cam should be flat, not bent. You can go to the Linhof web site, click on service and download the latest instruction book for free. It will also instruct you on the proper procedure for dropping the bed, tilting the front standard and back standard.
    Basically, you drop the bed all the way, raise the lens to the top of the standard, tilt the standard all the way forward, tilt the back all the way so it is parallel to the front. Otherwise, tilt the bed and lens as far as you wantand use a level to align the front and back.

Bob - perhaps I was unclear. My point is, if I want to use the lens with the bed at 15 degrees, there is no "stop" to make the tilt exactly parallel to the back. This means, from what I can tell, that the Master can not use a RF-coupled lens at the 15 degree stop. As I just tested, the RF does work at 15 degrees, and yes I know about the cams. At the 30 degree tilt, where the back tilt stops, the RF doesn't couple with the cam.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome