Thread: Tech V repair

Tech V repair

My Tech V has the what seems normal problem of a stripped out lens rise rack. This plastic strip appears to be replacable and the part is on order. What I lack is an exploded diagram of the standard or some indication of the steps to remove and replace. If I peel back the leatherette I will probably find a few screws but I hope someone might have some experience and would be willing to share.

Thanks

Re: Tech V repair

You do know that if you have the very last V made then today it is almost 39 years old, and if you have the first one made it over 51 years old.

If you have stripped the gear it is also possible that other things could be wrong on cameras this old. Perhaps your best option is to have a proper CLA done on it by Precision Camera.

I called Linhof Munich to inquire about replacing the shitty "pull out to lower, push in to rise" plastic lever with the metal "pull and twist" lever of the later Technikas.

They told me the whole gearing would have to be replaced and the kit would cost around 100 Euros.

I decided to leave it, since it still works. Why they would use a plastic toothed rack is beyond me.

Quote Originally Posted by towolf View Post
    I called Linhof Munich to inquire about replacing the shitty "pull out to lower, push in to rise" plastic lever with the metal "pull and twist" lever of the later Technikas.

They told me the whole gearing would have to be replaced and the kit would cost around 100 Euros.

I decided to leave it, since it still works. Why they would use a plastic toothed rack is beyond me.
    You would probably be better off to call Bob Watkins at Precision Camera and ask him what he would charge.

As to the rack, you would have to ask the original designers and the owner, Nichlos Karpf, and they are all dead. But it is a pretty good bet that the supplier of that material prooved to them over 50 years ago that it would stand up. But then today's mechanism is different. Do you think that Mercedes still uses the same materials as they did 50 years ago in a comperable car? If they used a metal rack with a metal gear it would have other problems.

I’m in Germany, at the source so to speak. Not everybody here is American. And the German LF forum has tumbleweeds rolling through.

I’m just surprised that they use this part (and that silly cover on top of the Graflok clips on the back) when the rest of the camera is cast or machined metal.

Quote Originally Posted by towolf View Post
    I’m in Germany, at the source so to speak. Not everybody here is American. And the German LF forum has tumbleweeds rolling through.

I’m just surprised that they use this part (and that silly cover on top of the Graflok clips on the back) when the rest of the camera is cast or machined metal.
    Your English is too good so you sounded American. Sorry about that.

I would suppose that weight may have been factored in as well as tooling costs.

Sinar also uses nylon gears (with the option of brass), presumably because they're smoother, though I'd prefer metal myself.

The one use of plastic in my Tech V that doesn't make sense to me, except for the fact that they are easier to manufacture in quantity, are the guides for the Graflok slides. Eventually they fatigue and wear out. When I sent the camera to Martin for service a few years ago, I asked him to send me a couple of spares in addition to replacing them, in case I had to make a field repair, as I'd previously repaired them temporarily with super glue and tape while traveling and was not in a position to send the camera for repair.

Precision sent me the tracks and it was doable repair.

Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb View Post
    Sinar also uses nylon gears (with the option of brass), presumably because they're smoother, though I'd prefer metal myself.
    Do you think the part could be replicated in brass by a machinist?

I'd guess they can, but I'm not a machinist.