Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Canham JMC810 opinions & experience

Re: Canham JMC810 opinions & experience

years ago I came this close to buying one, but went with the 8x10 light weight version instead. Maybe it was because of the extra movements. I don't remember. I know it wasn't because of the left-hand focusing, because I'm also left-handed.

Andrew, there's a lightweight version as well? I thought this camera was already quite light.

loujon

Quote Originally Posted by Ari View Post
    Andrew, there's a lightweight version as well? I thought this camera was already quite light.

He is speaking of the Canham 8x10 Wood Cameras as one uses a smaller front standard to lighten the weight by around 1 lb.The Canham 8x10 Standard Wood takes the Sinar boards and weights 9 1/2 lbs while the Canham 8x10 Wood lite 8 1/2 lbs takes the Canham 110mmx110mm lens boards.

I own & use the Canham 8x10 Standard Wood as my lighter weight 8x10 camera. A fine sub 10lb 8x10 camera...

Got it, thank you, Louis and Gem.
    Wood is not an option for me, but there are many fine and beautiful wood cameras out there, and I can certainly understand their appeal.

At this point in time, weight is not an issue for me, either; I don't mind the Toyo's 15 pounds because the trade-off is precision and rigidity even at full extension with a 2.5 pound lens.

Yes, sorry for the confusion. Smaller lens boards was one of the reasons why I went with it. Lighter camera, and can pack more lenses.

Quote Originally Posted by Gem Singer View Post
    The only focusing knob for the JMC810 rear standard is on the left side.

I asked Keith why he designed the camera that way. He said that he is left handed. Being right handed,I found that arrangement to be slightly awkward.

I owned a JMC810 for a while. Traded it for a Traditional (wooden) 8X10. with focusing knobs on both the right and left sides.

Your comment about Keith Canham putting the focusing knob on the left side of the camera because he's left-handed, sounds backwards to me. Most hand-held cameras were/are designed to be gripped with the right hand and focused (when focusing manually) with the left hand. 35mm and digital SLR's and most medium format cameras are focused with the left hand. Deardorffs have the focusing knob on the left side.

Oddly, V-series Hasselblads seem as if they were designed by a left-handed person. According to their instructions, the camera should be cradled in the left hand and fired with a left-handed finger while focusing with the right hand.

As a right-handed person, it's always felt natural for me to focus with my left hand.

Octogenarian

Jonathan,

All three format sizes of Canham metal cameras are similarly designed.

They utilize two (right and left) flat metal bars that slide back and forth along side of each other. These metal bars serve like an expandable, or telescoping, focusing rail.

The bar on the right side controls the front (lens) movements with a focusing knob located at the right front.

The bar on the left side controls the ground glass (film) movements with a focusing knob located at the left rear.

Being right handed, I find this arrangement slightly awkward. However, I can work around that quirk in the design.

I didn't mean to imply that Keith specifically designed his cameras that way because he is left handed.

I have owned all three format sizes of these unique designed Canham metal cameras. I highly recommend them.

How many people focus a large format camera by moving the front standard?

Octogenarian

Jonathan,

I usually always fine focus my large format cameras by moving the front standard.

I guess I'm just used to doing it that way. I've been doing it wrong for the past 69 years?

I'll try focusing by moving the rear standard and see if I like it better.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Barlow View Post
    How many people focus a large format camera by moving the front standard?
    I always focus using the front standard. Don't you find that focusing with the rear standard changes your framing? (I've stayed out of this thread because I use the Canham DLC2, and I'm not familiar with its 8x10 big brother. But FWIW, I have found it to be an excellent compromise in terms of weight, portability, and features. It isn't quite as rigid as my Sinar, and the movements aren't exactly as smooth, but as I said as a complete package I find it excellent.)