Page 90 of 130 FirstFirst ... 40808889909192100 ... LastLast

Thread: Tiny Format Portraits

Re: Tiny Format Portraits

Don, Those are astonishingly captivating images. Love them.
    Brass is a metal alloy, not a lens type - MichaelE

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jacketch/

Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Don Dudenbostel View Post
    A few of my Appalachian portraits.
    Ha, I should have know you'd have a few of Popcorn Sutton. Again, wonderful work--the one of the two girls clambering around on the sawhorse deserves the full James Agee treatment.

FWIW, get her under a brush-arbor and my grandmother could go full-Pentecostal and speak in tongues, but I never heard of a congregation that made a habit of taking up serpents in my part of the world. (A colleague from our department when we were at UA-Birmingham, Dennis Covington, did a "New Journalism" take on the snake handlers on Sand Mountain, Alabama though, that was a finalist for the National Book Award.)

...Third is James Bunch in Monroe Co TN. James carved that motorcycle out of a piece of wood with his Case pocket knife. Shot around 1989 with my M6 and 21 Elmarit. Probably Delta 400 or HP5 in HC110B....
    Wow! I did not expect this. It looks quite real. Of course I haven’t heard of the bike called Chipper. That should have been the tip-off.
    --- Steve from Missouri ---

Quote Originally Posted by scheinfluger_77 View Post
    Wow! I did not expect this. It looks quite real. Of course I haven’t heard of the bike called Chipper. That should have been the tip-off.
    Notice the spelling,”Chiper.” James passes away several years ago. I think he was in his 90’s but could be wrong. Pretty much all his carvings were done with a Case pocket knife. I need to pull up the files and post some closeups of his hands and knife while he was carving. James only sold a handful of his pieces until near the end of his life. His wife was sick and confined to her bed for over 20 years and didn’t want James to sell any of his work. Much of it resides in a spare room in their tiny house until he sold most of it to John Rice Erwin at the Museum of Appalachia in Norris TN.

I see that now. What a talent.
    --- Steve from Missouri ---

Luis
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Thanks!!! I’ll have to dig more out. People are the most enjoyable subject for me. I tell folks I’ve never met anyone that wasn’t interesting. And whenever possible I like to get to know something about the people I photograph.
    These are great! Thanks for posting

Like!

Quote Originally Posted by Peter De Smidt View Post

Luis
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Peter De Smidt View Post

Luis
    Very nice!