Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Where to shoot your portraits without a studio?

Where to shoot your portraits without a studio?

Normally I shoot my portraits on my balcony as it has great light from 3 directions and a very beautiful backdrop.
    But now that Winter is coming I can't have the model standing there in the cold.

I have a shoot planed from next Saturday, with THE MODEL that I always wanted to work with (Aline Stevens), I don't know where to shoot.
    I used to shoot in hotel rooms but the hotels in town will be pretty expensive next weekend.

Any tips to help me out of my misery?

Re: Where to shoot your portraits without a studio?

Indoors using window light? Or perhaps set up a small studio space in your garage?

A couple of my friends said they went around to local condo's that were for rent and put a deposit down for a key so they could come back with their bf/gf's to look around and instead used it as a temporary studio space. Not sure if they were joking but it might work lol

Or you could always bring a space blanket and some big jackets to keep the model warm in between poses.

Depending on wherer you are, you may be able to rent studio space for $20-$50 an hour. Their lights may not be strong enough for LF though.

I'm in Brussels, BE and so far the studios that I've seen have been more expensive then that.
    The setup will be super simple as I'm going for Irving Penn's Hands & Face composition.
    She basically just has to sit in front of a table. Window to one side, reflector to the other. Backdrop right behind her.
    I'm shooting a Petzval wide open at F3.5 so light will be manageable.

Here's an off hand idea. Go to the sublet/ temporary housing category in Craigslist for Belgium. Look for something available now and offer them a free dinner. I assume you don't need real privacy, just to be left alone.

And yes, there is a CL site for Belgium.

I move furniture aside and photograph all kinds of portraits in my living room from head shots to full length nudes, always with 8x10 or 7x17. The modeling light in a single strobe with soft box is usually my only light source. I am not a fan of flooding subjects with immense amounts of light, but prefer to use nice quality light with the lens wide open or nearly so. Even a 5 watt bulb without a reflector provides beautiful light for a portrait with 100 speed film, when placed correctly.

I shoot wherever the light and background are appropriate because I do not shoot with posing talents and setting up a studio is not possible in the remote areas that I shoot (http://endangeredtribes.org). They tend to be consious with the box and gather around the box. Instead, I like to shoot when talents are natural and unaware of my presense. On times, I set up the camera and then leave it for several hours so that they take it granted and release the pin without them knowing. Maybe that is just (weird) me. ;-)

Hello Andre, I'm from Brussels too, so I can understand your light problem just checking the weather trough the window...

What about using window light and pushing your film iso by one step ?

Hey, another one

The placement of the windows in my apartment is really tricky.
    But you're right. It might work with a portable background.

Quote Originally Posted by mathieu Bauwens View Post
    Hello Andre, I'm from Brussels too, so I can understand your light problem just checking the weather trough the window...

What about using window light and pushing your film iso by one step ?

Ok, +1 for moving furniture. This is gonna work!
    Just need to find a nice grey background now.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20141212_142159.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	138.7 KB 
ID:	126426